BUILD Sanity Check please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindo

Cadet
I've lurked for a bit, and it's time to go shopping at Microcenter :)

I have 3 3TB WD Red drives and one 2TB WB Red drive. Is there any issue that one doesn't match? I also have a 256GB SSD for the cache.

I'm torn on a few other things. Should I buy a CPU cooler and drop the stock cooler? I hear mixed things about it. Should I pick up a few case fans as well? Want those HDDs nice and cool. Also, no idea what PSU I'll need. Is 500w too much?

As I bonus, I ordered this on accident..does it work with this CPU & Mobo?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EMA5VU/?tag=ozlp-20

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
You'll not be able to use 3 TB but only 2 TB on the 3 TB drives if you put them with a 2 TB drive, besides that there is no problem. you can always replace the 2 TB drive later and then the vdev will expand and use the whole space on the drives :)

Yes, you should cool your drives correctly, not too much cooling however (30 C is a very good idle temp, and they shouldn't go over 40 C when loaded) ;)

500 W is too much for just 4 drives (even for 8 in fact). For the PSU I always recommend SeaSonic, for example the G-360 is very nice if you don't plan to expand to over 6 or 8 drives ;)

Yes, the RAM will work.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The motherboard won't fit. It's microATX. You also do not need a video card.

You also need to do more reading, since there's no use for a "cache" (L2ARC) in your system.

Lindo

Cadet
Thank you @Bidule0hm! It looks like the specs listed on Microcenter are incorrect concerned the varying motherboard form factors this case supports, so I'll have to reconsider there.

marbus90

Guru
Also you don't need a dedicated graphics card, that's integrated into the mobo.

Fractal Arc Mini or Define Mini are a nice fit for that board, Seasonic G-360 PSU is enough for 6 HDDs. Also I'd recommend to go full-on with 6x3TB Reds to run a 6disk raidz2. the L2ARC SSD doesn't help (not even in my enterprise server).

Status
Not open for further replies.