Sanity Check My Production Server

Pogdy

Cadet
Hey all,

I’m planning to upgrade my design & animation studios storage system from 3 low spec Synologys to a single beefy TrueNas server (core or scale, undecided atm). My plan is to then attach a JBOD to it for snapshots, backup, archival. I already back up offsite as well and a cloud backup on AWS.

I’m planning on the following spec and would like a sanity check:

• Gigabyte R272-Z31
  • AMD EPYC 7443P - 24 Cores 2.85GHz/4GHz
  • 16x64GB 3200MHz DDR4 ECC Registered
  • Dual 10Gbe SFP+ & Built in IPMI
  • Onboard 12Gb/s SAS expander
  • HBA Card for Jbod
  • Redundant Power Supplies
For storage I’m thinking of getting 24 x 2.5" SSDs, aiming for a usable capacity of 100TB. The case supports 26 drives total:

• 4 vdevs of 6 drives each, Raidz2
  • 2 additional 2.5" ssds for boot drives
  • 2 M.2 capacity for later if L2Arc is needed with that much ram.
For use case this will be used as our production server where around 30 people will be writing/reading to it over smb on a 10gbe LAN.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No obvious red flags here, but you should probably look at NVMe instead of SATA/SAS.
For storage I’m thinking of getting 24 x 2.5" SSDs, aiming for a usable capacity of 100TB.
That means 8+ TB SSDs, at which point you're probably better off with fewer, higher-capacity NVMe SSDs, if the cost is right.

Pogdy

Cadet
I thought of going NVME but I realised if i fully populated the 24 bays in the future I'd probably have to go with a better CPU as I don't think it would be able to keep up. Also more importantly I don't think our 10Gbe LAN would fully utilise those NVMe drives?

Last edited: