Samba Host IP address change issue

bobb

Dabbler
Hey everyone,

I recently moved my FreeNAS rig to a new network. The old IP was 192.168.178.2, the new one is 192.168.172.2.
When I moved the box, DHCP was disabled, so I hooked up a screen and used the console to change the IP. Everything was working fine, except samba.
A port scan showed that port 445 was closed on the new IP, but I had full access to the FreeNAS management webapp.

After some digging, I figured out that the host IP hadn't been changed in /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf.
More specifically, this line is the culprit: interfaces = 127.0.0.1 192.168.178.2. So I changed the interface IP. Samba then worked as expected.
The issue is that the interface changes back to the old IP on every reboot. What do I have to do to get this interface change to stick?

Thanks for your help!
-bobb

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hey everyone,

I recently moved my FreeNAS rig to a new network. The old IP was 192.168.178.2, the new one is 192.168.172.2.
When I moved the box, DHCP was disabled, so I hooked up a screen and used the console to change the IP. Everything was working fine, except samba.
A port scan showed that port 445 was closed on the new IP, but I had full access to the FreeNAS management webapp.

After some digging, I figured out that the host IP hadn't been changed in /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf.
More specifically, this line is the culprit: interfaces = 127.0.0.1 192.168.178.2. So I changed the interface IP. Samba then worked as expected.
The issue is that the interface changes back to the old IP on every reboot. What do I have to do to get this interface change to stick?

Thanks for your help!
-bobb
There's a portion of the GUI where you can change the bind IP for SMB. Check the box for your new IP address.

bobb

Dabbler
Awesome, thanks! Solved my problem :smile: