cannot change smb bind IP address

Steel-Cat

Explorer
Hallo,

I cannot access my smb-shares anymore. Looking on the smb-service config I see for bind ip address: "-" (no valid addresses)

looking in smb4.conf I see an old wrong IP-Address interfaces = 127.0.0.1 192.168.10.22

The 22 is wrong. I want to change it to 18

here from ifconfig
igb0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
description: igb0
options=2400b9<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6>
inet 192.168.10.18 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255

So: How to change it?

the was a hint to choose - and then on click save: but..... answer in red:

"Select a valid choice. 192.168.10.22 is not one of the available choices. "

How can help?

PS I have updated from 11.3 to 11.3.U2 ... was there a problem?

Last edited:
Hi
Exactly the same issue here. There seems to be an address stuck in the 'Bind IP addresses", but can't select or untick anything.

The big problem: I can't update ANY options on the SMB services page because the red message comes up whenever I press Save. New parameters in unrelated fields are not respected.

testparm -s shows no errors.

Can I directly edit smb4.conf, thus bypassing the GUI?

Hope someone can help or suggest a workaround.

Cheers,
-jay

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This is a common problem with FreeNAS installations using DHCP addresses which change while FreeNAS is running. The Bind IP Addresses field in the SMB service definition ONLY shows static addresses. You'll need to use the console menu to change your FreeNAS installation to a static IP, static gateway, and static DNS servers; afterwards, you'll be able to set the SMB bind address to the newly-set static address.

Thanks, sorted.

After updating from 11.3 U2 to U3, I can now clear the binding choice. The GUI now works as expected.

I do use the DHCP server to assign the IP address for FreeNAS (and other devices) at a fixed address, so they can be seen/adjusted centrally.