SOLVED Samba: Enabling streams_xattr breaks OS X functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobiasbp

Patron
Hello....

I have created a single (default) Samba share in my FreeNAS 11.1. Out of the box, these vfs objects are enabled:

vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr aio_pthread

On this share, some OS X functionality does not work. An example is color tagging of directories.

If i disable streams_xattr, leaving me with these vfs objects, the OS X features work as expected on the share:

vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl aio_pthread

I would like to enable the vfs object fruit, in order to better support my OS X users, but since fruit relies on stream_xattr, I can not turn it on.

Any suggestions?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello....

I have created a single (default) Samba share in my FreeNAS 11.1. Out of the box, these vfs objects are enabled:

vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr aio_pthread

On this share, some OS X functionality does not work. An example is color tagging of directories.

If i disable streams_xattr, leaving me with these vfs objects, the OS X features work as expected on the share:

vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl aio_pthread

I would like to enable the vfs object fruit, in order to better support my OS X users, but since fruit relies on stream_xattr, I can not turn it on.

Any suggestions?

I have confirmed there is a regression in handling of color tags. Currently trying to determine what changes in samba caused it. This should be fixed in a future release.

tobiasbp

Patron
Looking at the bug, the problem seems to be fixed, and scheduled for the next release.

Thank you.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Looking at the bug, the problem seems to be fixed, and scheduled for the next release.

Thank you.

No problem. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. OSX SMB client color tags interacts slightly differently with xattrs than a typical SMB client behavior. It presents an interesting edge case that we hadn't tested before.

tobiasbp

Patron
I have tested the color tag functionality of the OS X Finder on a Samba share running off of a FreeNAS 11.1-U2 installation.

Color tags now work the way they should. Thank you to everyone involved!

Status
Not open for further replies.