SAMBA and AXIS Cameras

eddi1984

Dabbler
Hi,

I have been running freenas and Axis cameras for ages. Everything was working fine on 11.1-U5 (and below), but since I installed 11.1-U6, I cannot connect my cameras to the network share.
I have the share setup so everyone can access the share (guest access). When using a windows machine, I can browse and access the share without any issues or delays.

I use the Axis Companion Software to setup the cameras and when I try to setup the share, I just get "Could not contact the recorder (share)". I deleted the share, and recreated it with a different share name and same results.
Like I said, before 11.1-U6 it was working fine and without any hassle. The samba logs don't show anything ...

I also checked the Axis FAQ's and SMB3 is supported (cameras have the newest firmware installed).

So I am not sure why its not working unless I am looking at all the wrong places. I could defiantly use some help here.

Thanks.

Eddi

PS: in case you are interested, cameras are the Axis P3346, firmware version 5.51.5.1

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

I have been running freenas and Axis cameras for ages. Everything was working fine on 11.1-U5 (and below), but since I installed 11.1-U6, I cannot connect my cameras to the network share.
I have the share setup so everyone can access the share (guest access). When using a windows machine, I can browse and access the share without any issues or delays.

I use the Axis Companion Software to setup the cameras and when I try to setup the share, I just get "Could not contact the recorder (share)". I deleted the share, and recreated it with a different share name and same results.
Like I said, before 11.1-U6 it was working fine and without any hassle. The samba logs don't show anything ...

I also checked the Axis FAQ's and SMB3 is supported (cameras have the newest firmware installed).

So I am not sure why its not working unless I am looking at all the wrong places. I could defiantly use some help here.

Thanks.

Eddi

PS: in case you are interested, cameras are the Axis P3346, firmware version 5.51.5.1

Try enabling SMB1 and see if it works. Also try enabling NTLMv1 auth (sometimes that can also get in the way). There was a bug in versions of samba before FN 11.1-U6 in which SMB2+ clients could successfully request NTLMv1 even if it was turned off server-side.

eddi1984

Dabbler
Try enabling SMB1 and see if it works. Also try enabling NTLMv1 auth (sometimes that can also get in the way). There was a bug in versions of samba before FN 11.1-U6 in which SMB2+ clients could successfully request NTLMv1 even if it was turned off server-side.

I did enabled the NTLMv1 option, but it did not help. When I enter "min protocol = SMB1" for auxiliary parameters, the SMB crashes and does not restart. Changing it to SMB2, the SMB service will restart fine, but the camera will still not work.

I would also like to point out, that AXIS has disabled SMB1 & 2 and supposed to only work with SMB3 ...

So the suggested options did not solve my issue.

Thanks.

EDIT: Instead of SMB1, I also used NT1. The SMB service did not crash but the camera did not connect as well. I also changed the sysctl setting (sysctl freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol=NT1), but no go.

EDIT #2: I had to set the NT1 in the Aux Param and do the sysctl in cli. I will make it permanent via tunables. Thanks for the pointer!

EDIT #3: For anyone using AXIS cameras and having the same issue, the NTLMv1 option does not need to be enabled, just force NT1 (SMB1).

Last edited:

scurrier

Patron
I had this same issue on the most recent firmware of the Axis A8105-E door bell camera and the same fix worked for me... allowing SMB1 in the SMB service settings. NTLMv1 did not need to be checked.

Sad... for most things Axis is totally "with it" but for this they are ignoring sound security practices. I guess they figure the video cams will often be on a closed network anyway?