SafeMode-only on HP DL 100 G2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Weis

Cadet
Hi all,

I have an HP DL 100 G2 NAS, and am running FreeNAS on it.
The device hangs on boot, unless I choose safe-mode.

I have been using 0.7.2 for some time, and have now upgraded to FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-i386 (8288) and the problem remains (see 'screenshot'). Even the installation CD only boots with 'option 3'.

I'd be happy to provide more information that would help you to fix this; in the meantime, it'd be very happy if someone could tell me how how to make my NAS boot into safe-mode by default (eg after a power outage).

Thanks a lot in advance,

Frank

Attachments

• DL100.jpg
    DL100.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 294
B

Bohs Hansen

since its a Dual-Core Intel® Pentium® D Processor (3.0 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2 x 2MB L2 cache), you should try the 64bit version (the amd64, the name is misleading for many, but amd was first with the 64bit why its called that - so it's also for the intel 64bit cpu's)

Frank Weis

Cadet
Thanks Bohs,

I have tried the amd64 image: it doesnt' even boot into safe mode. (see screenshots, the first one is safemode and the other one is 'verbose logging')

Interestingly, in safe-mode, it freezes almost immediately. In verbose or normal mode, it boots/probes/inits much farther...

Any other ideas?

TIA,

Frank

Attachments

• IMG_20111117_134244.jpg
    IMG_20111117_134244.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20111117_133930.jpg
    IMG_20111117_133930.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 266
B

Bohs Hansen

was worth a try, some of the real geeks need to step in then as that's out of my knowledge area.

B

Bohs Hansen

Just thought of something - How much RAM do you have in it? If I remember my readings from this forum correct you need to tweak it before installing if you run less then 4GB ram - might be wrong here though. But if correct, this could be the issue (always had 8gb on my freenas box, so didn't pay that much attention to it)

Digidoc

Dabbler
If you haven't done so yet, update the firmware/bios on the system. Also, disable hyperthreading as well if that cpu has it. I could be wrong here, but it looks like the system is faulting when freenas is polling the cpu capabilities, and comes back with an error when it detects the second core.

I just checked the specs of your unit on hp's site and it states its a dual core cpu (nothing about hyperthreading). In the bios there may be an option to disable SMP/multi-core operation. if you disable it and everything works fine afterwards, check the seating of the heatsink. Theres also a remote possibility that you could have a defective cpu (I've seen it happen already on an HP DC7800 desktop).

Status
Not open for further replies.