AiO ESXi FreeNAS homeserver configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ondjultomte

Contributor
IMG_20151030_204842.jpg

Sorry about the quality, my HTC ONe m7 camera got the camera "bugg" I never bother to return it coz of that.

ondjultomte

Contributor
wmware installed and freenas installed.
I had to use eager zero on the datastore where I installed freenas, didn't install otherwise.
Got this error message before I changed that.
"
Failed to start the virtual machine.
Module Disk power on failed.
Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/56358acf-e7fe5065-0210-0cc47a6ae752/FreeNAS/FreeNAS.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.
Thin/TBZ/Sparse disks cannot be opened in multiwriter mode
VMware ESX cannot open the virtual disk "/vmfs/volumes/56358acf-e7fe5065-0210-0cc47a6ae752/FreeNAS/FreeNAS.vmdk" for clustering. Verify that the virtual disk was created using the thick option.
"

Now what :)

I have to figureout what dataset to use.
Media is obvious. with no compression , should I increase the record size here? it will be a large amount of rar files only.

Backup also with lz4 compression.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
IMG_20151030_204842.jpg

Sorry about the quality, my HTC ONe m7 camera got the camera "bugg" I never bother to return it coz of that.
What on earth is that graphics card for? The BMC is more than capable of dealing with what little graphics output you need.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

jgreco

Resident Grinch
and unless you use passthrough hardware, it is still wasted.

Well, let's not be overly critical until we find that out. I've seen a number of people who've built workstation grade boxes for their desktop, ran ESXi on it, and then passed through various stuff to guest OS's in order that they could justify buying a really big desktop box but have the option to right-size what was actually allocated to their desktop while leaving room for VM's.

In fact I've sometimes considered doing that myself. My primary desktop is getting long in tooth ... it's a HP DC7600 business PC and yeah OMG its release date was 2005 Q2, probably older than what anyone reading is actively using. I've actually been contemplating picking up a beefier workstation and having a more heavily isolated hypervisor for lab stuff and general screwing around.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Q2 2005... Ouch.

Yeah, well, I did end up having to move web browsing to a VM. But for the most part, the computer I'm typing on is usually not being asked to do Herculean tasks, more like a bunch of SSH and remote console processes. It's finally started feeling too slow.

I'm not a big fan of change just for the sake of change, or of throwing hardware away until there's good reason.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, well, I did end up having to move web browsing to a VM. But for the most part, the computer I'm typing on is usually not being asked to do Herculean tasks, more like a bunch of SSH and remote console processes. It's finally started feeling too slow.

I'm not a big fan of change just for the sake of change, or of throwing hardware away until there's good reason.
Sure, but most people's reaction to "This computer has become too slow to do web browsing." is not "Meh, I'll make a VM over in that server that has resources to spare and use that to do my web browsing."

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sure, but most people's reaction to "This computer has become too slow to do web browsing." is not "Meh, I'll make a VM over in that server that has resources to spare and use that to do my web browsing."

The VM is actually to provide an isolated environment for web browsing. The modern web browser is basically one giant vulnerability. There's nothing going on in the browsing VM other than browsing, so if I go to a dodgy website inadvertently, or get a virus warning, all I need to do is to go up and click "Snapshot->Revert" and it never happened. In like fifteen seconds. The sum total of the damage done is that you've probably lost some recent tabs.

With a PC, you first go "aw, shit," then you figure out whether or not you really want to go and reformat the PC, and then restore it from backup image. Most often you'll choose not to, because, y'know, it's easier to be lazy than to put in work and effort. One of the things I've always been big on in computing is that something that encourages you to do the right thing at a minimal cost is often the ideal solution.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Drive by download, whatever. Most stuff doesn't make it through the UTM or the Squid proxy but paranoia is good.

ondjultomte

Contributor
Would i gain any speed using a grfx card in a Windows VM connecting with rdp? Or could i skip that grfx?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.