Sad News: Death of Marbus90

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Esteemed Colleagues:

I regret to inform the Community that one of our most active, most prolific, irc community members, "Marbus90", met an untimely demise on 6 July in Germany, following a fatal auto wreck. Marius Busch was certainly one of the most reliable fixtures in the IRC channel, and had helped many people there, and in this forum.

On behalf of the FreeNAS community, I have sent along to the family the following statement to be read during his funeral. The English and German text is below. Thank you to Community member xmj for his expertise in providing a better German translation than I could manage.

Rest in peace, Marius.

(Edit: A reddit has been set up by the Clutch guys)

marbus90.jpg

I was a friend of Marius Busch, or “Marbus” as he is known to all of us, as were many of my colleagues in the FreeNAS community, which includes software and hardware supporters, developers, and the management and leadership of FreeNAS’s commercial arm, ixSystems, Inc. More than one hundred of us were his daily companions, and friends, in the strange online way that is becoming so common in these days, and many hundreds more were silently helped by his guidance. It is my painful honor to write a few words in his memory on behalf of this community. We were his friends, and we were honored to be with him for several hours per day for well over a year.

In death, the deceased frequently are spoken of with virtues and praises that are not rightfully theirs. In the case of Marius, that will not be necessary, for he was a true friend of dozens, or even hundreds of us. Many of us came to know him quite closely in nearly daily discussion with him. We followed and shared his excitement as his cochlear implants were slowly turned on, and he began hearing once again. He would excitedly tell us that he could understand 80 or 90% of German voice, far ahead of the normal schedule for such things, “and even 50 or 60% in English”. I myself greeted him for awhile with “How are your implants, today, sir?" He spoke with us frequently about his views on a variety of issues, discussed at length Germany and the history of where he lived, and an endless variety of other interests of his. He was much more than a simple source of software information. He was, truly, a nearly continual presence among us, and many of us felt that we knew him quite well, as these things are defined in the online universe.

Even now as I compose this, many in our “irc channel” are recalling how he helped them with “building their first FreeNAS server”, or having this or that idea. Marius’ ideas often were strongly in the camp of everyone having the very best of everything; he insisted that his friends and colleagues, and even strangers, always sought the best solutions for any problem confronting them. It is not--even remotely--an overstatement to say that Marius’ absence among us will not only be a source of sadness for a long time to come, but that it will also have a material impact on what we will be able to do as a Community, his contribution was that important. Many of the discussions and interactions he had with us have changed or otherwise impacted what we are doing. That is the truth.

We wish the best to the family, and the friends, of Marius. May he, and you, go with God and find peace at this difficult time.

Ich war ein Freund von Marius Busch--oder "Marbus”, wie er uns allen bekannt ist -- ebenso wie viele meiner Kollegen in der FreeNAS -Community, in der man unentgeltich, von Software- und Hardware-Entwicklern freiwillig bereitgestellten Support finden kann; gleichermassen war die Führung und Leitung von FreeNAS kommerziellen Arm, iXsystems, Inc. gut mit Marius befreundet.

Mehr als Einhundert von uns waren seine tägliche Begleiter, vereint in einer merkwürdigen Art des “Online”-seins, die in sich diesen Tagen immer weiter verbreitet. Vielen Hunderten wurden stillschweigend ausgeholfen unter seiner Führung. Es ist mir eine schmerzhafte Ehre, ein paar Worte in sein Gedächtnis im Namen dieser Gemeinde zu schreiben. Wir waren seine Freunde, und wir fühlen uns geehrt, mit ihm für viele Stunden pro Tag für mehr als ein Jahr Zeit verbringen zu dürfen.

Im Tod wird es vielen Verstorbenen zu teil, mit Lorbeeren überhäuft zu werden und Tugenden zugeschrieben zu bekommen, die nicht rechtmässig die ihren sind. Im Fall von Marius wird dies nicht notwendig sein, da er für viele Dutzende, wenn nicht gar Hunderte, zu einem wahren Freund geworden ist. Unter diesen konnten ihn viele durch tägliche Diskussionen dabei sehr nah kennenlernen. Wir folgten und teilten seine Freude, als seine Cochlear-Implantate nach und nach immer stärker eingestellt wurden, und er langsam aber sicher wieder hören konnte. Er würde uns aufgeregt berichten, dass er mittlerweile 80%, wenn nicht gar 90% auf Deutsch gesprochener Sätze verstehen konnte - er machte wesentlich schnelleren Fortschritt als normal in solchen Fällen - sowie “sogar 50%-60% auf Englisch!” Ich selbst habe ihn für eine Weile mit den Worten “Wie geht es ihren Implantaten heute, mein Herr?” begrüsst. Er hat mit uns häufig seine Ansichten über eine Vielzahl von Angelegenheiten diskutieren können, mit Länge über Deutschland und die Geschichte der Gegend, aus der er stammt, berichtet, und uns in wesentlich mehr Gebieten an seinem Leben anteil nehmen lassen können. Er war wesentlich mehr als einfach nur eine Quelle, um Information über Software zu finden. Er war, wahrhaftig, eine nahezu ständige Präsenz unter uns, und viele hatten das Gefühl, ihn, wie es im Online-Universum üblicherweise definiert ist, gut zu kennen.

Eben jetzt, während ich diese Zeilen schreibe, erinnern sich viele Mitglieder unseres “irc channels” daran, wie er ihnen selbst bei der Zusammenstellung des “ersten FreeNAS-Servers” helfen konnte, oder diese und jene Idee verfolgte. Marius’ Ideen waren häufig sehr stark im Lager derer zu finden, die für sich selbst, und ihre Freunde, nur das Beste wünschen. Er bestand darauf, dass seine Freunde und Kollegen - sowie auch Personen, mit denen er zuvor noch keinen Kontakt hatte - immer nach den bestmöglichsten Lösungswegen zu Problemen, mit denen sie konfrontiert waren, suchten. Es ist nicht auch nur ansatzweise eine Übertreibung zu sagen, dass Marius’ Abwesenheit für viele von uns nicht nur auf lange Zeit hinweg ein Grund der Trauer sein wird, sondern auch dass es einen massgeblichen Einfluss darauf haben wird, was wir als FreeNAS-Community erreichen können; so erheblich war sein Beitrag. In vielen Diskussionen und Interaktionen, die er mit uns hatte, gelang es ihm, unsere Vorhaben und Absichten zum Guten zu verändern. Dies ist die Wahrheit.

Wir wünschen der Familie und den Freunden von Marius nur das Beste. Möge er, und auch Du, mit Gott gehen und in dieser schwierigen Zeit Frieden finden.

Translation Credit from English to German:
xmj (Deutsche Übersetzung)

Last edited:

matto

FreeBSD Advocate
iXsystems
His wit and knowledge on many different subjects, including FreeNAS, will truly be missed. :(

FritVetBE

Explorer
Waw, sad news for reading during my breakfast...
RIP Marius.

DJ9

Contributor
Sorry to hear. May you rest in peace Marius. Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

HomebrewCocaine

Marbus90's bud
Hey there everyone. I am a coworker and friend of Marius's. I want to thank you all for your kind words and let you know that he thought of you all as a family. His loss has left a void for us at Clutch, and we hope to continue the good work that he did here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, today is definitely a sad day for us all. Life is short, and at times cruel.

For the community-

This is very unfortunate for our community as we now have a void as he was one of our most respected members of our community. Many of us will never meet each other in person, never hear each other's voice, nor know what life brings tomorrow. I can remember quite a few discussions between various members of the forums that marbus90 was involved in (some of them got rather heated at times) but we never lost sight of the fact that our differing opinions and experiences were what made us strong. Like with many things in life, there isn't always a clear answer. Just various differing opinions and experiences. At the end of the day, he was definitely one of the more prominent members of our small circle of friends, and it will be sad not seeing him around to carry on the discussions we have had in the past. His knowledge and experience will carry on in his posts on the forums. He had only 10 months with the forum. Yep, he was here only 10 months. But his over 800 posts speak for how he was as a person- always wanting to help others and make things better for everyone.

For the family-

You are in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. Life may be short and we will often have unfinished discussions and projects in our lives. But

There's a quote I remember hearing somewhere that went something along the lines of "There is one universal aspect to our lives. Everyone dies. But not everyone lives." He may not have been with us long. But he definitely lived his life while he was with us.

The world is definitely a little smaller today as we mourn the passing of our friend, marbus90.

Rest in peace buddy. We'll definitely miss you.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I will miss him very much. If there was anything you could count on in IRC, it was that Marius would be there ready to answer any question at any time of the day. There were many times when prior to purchasing something I would think 'hey, I should ask marbus90 what to do'. The breadth of his knowledge was immense, and his constant sacrifice of time and energy to help members of this community is irreplaceable. As a community this is a tragic loss. As for me, I am deeply saddened. Marbus90, we will miss you. Rest in peace.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Terrible, sad news indeed. A horrible reminder of how quickly everything can change.

Marbus90 provided a pragmatic, no-overkill view of some questions. This certainly caused some tensions, but his suggestions had as much merit for many situations as the opposing view had for other situations.

May you rest in peace. Your legacy will certainly live on and hopefully inspire others.

Berend Busch

Cadet
Hello, this is the Father of Marius.

After reading all this (excause my bad English) I'm more proud of him. And will say thanks to all of u.
Now i can oversea the whole acting of my Son and can understand why he was getting angry when the real-world takls to him and so on.

His real Life was very very hard, so that not everyone can understand him, sometimes includíng his Dad :-(
But when i'm reading this, i can understand more and more so that the Pain will get smaller.
Won't go forever

DANKE FÜR DIE ZEIT MARIUS! Er war auf seine Art großartig!

Screaming screaming.................

Greetings
Berend Busch
berendbusch@web.de

J

jkh

Esteemed Colleagues:

I regret to inform the Community that one of our most active, most prolific, irc community members, "Marbus90", met an untimely demise on 6 July in Germany, following a fatal auto wreck. Marius Busch was certainly one of the most reliable fixtures in the IRC channel, and had helped many people there, and in this forum.

This is heartbreaking. There are no words. We will all miss you every day, Marius. You were a fixture in the forum, a fixture on the #freenas channel, and already your absence here is keenly felt. "Where is marbus90? I have a link to share with him." "Hey, marbus90 would love this deal on newegg!"

His was a presence so ubiquitous, in fact, that we just took it for granted that he would always be here and now that he is not, he leaves a huge void. I can only imagine what his family is going through, and his Father's post left me in tatters. It is perhaps all too easy to trivialize the value of our community, or to see it as just a bunch of geeks fighting about storage, but it's obvious that there is more going on here than that.

RIP Marius. You will be sorely missed.

rogerh

Guru
I did not converse much with marbus90 but I read many of his posts, and his knowledge and, above all, sincerity shone through. This is a very sad loss and my sincere condolences to his family.

j_r0dd

Contributor
RIP. I will miss his posts. Life is too short...

What a terrible news. :(
You will be missed.
May you rest in peace.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
My condolences to his family & friends, he was of great value to our community
and will be sorely missed :(

Well this is never something i want to read...saw it yesterday and was shocked but couldnt comment until today. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, like others have said his presence will be greatly missed in this community and others he was involved in.

Status
Not open for further replies.