SabNZBD permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contributor
I can setup the steps in my blog in a few minutes so close is relative.
Yeah ok, fair enough!

At the moment, I have a datapool which, amongst others includes /Downloads & /Media.
Each is mounted via two seperate jail storage entries.

Sab downloads to /Downloads/Complete and places it in either /Movies or /TV as defined by Sab's categories

/Downloads/Complete/TV is monitored by sickbeard, which then renames and moves it to /Media/TV.
Couch does the same for /Movies ->/Media/Movies

No, I do not recommend using CIFS to mount data into your jail. I never even mention CIFS
Again, I think my terminology is poor. What I meant to say is that I think you were suggesting that the configuration of my dual jail storage dictates an inefficient read+write+delete overhead & that i'd be better of creating a dedicated pool for media - which I'd then choose to share via CIFS?!

Believe it or not I used to be good at this stuff - was a good Software Engineering/Forensics graduate but have been an EMT\Teacher for 8 years now. I don't like being a noob - but appreciate your patience.

EDIT:Formatting

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yeah ok, fair enough!

At the moment, I have a datapool which, amongst others includes /Downloads & /Media.
Each is mounted via two seperate jail storage entries.

Sab downloads to /Downloads/Complete and places it in either /Movies or /TV as defined by Sab's categories

/Downloads/Complete/TV is monitored by sickbeard, which then renames and moves it to /Media/TV.
Couch does the same for /Movies ->/Media/Movies

Again, I think my terminology is poor. What I meant to say is that I think you were suggesting that the configuration of my dual jail storage dictates an inefficient read+write+delete overhead & that i'd be better of creating a dedicated pool for media - which I'd then choose to share via CIFS?!

Believe it or not I used to be good at this stuff - was a good Software Engineering/Forensics graduate but have been an EMT\Teacher for 8 years now. I don't like being a noob - but appreciate your patience.

EDIT:Formatting
No worries, everyone is a noob at something in life. I'm sure one day when I get tired of keeping up on things, everything with UNIX will change and I'll be a noob again too!

Yes, if you want to keep your data structured how it is I recommend you..
  • mount your WinShare dataset to /mnt/WinShare (or whatever you want)
  • point sabnzbd's downloads to /mnt/WinShare/Downloads/Complete
  • point sickbeard to watch /mnt/WinShare/Downloads/Complete/TV
  • point couchpotato to watch /mnt/WinShare/Downloads/Complete/Movies
  • Have Sickbeard and Couchpotato move their media to /mnt/WinShare/Media

Yes, you can create a CIFS share for whatever datasets. It's not really related with the other stuff we were working through though.

If you need to change any ownership/permissions, just change it for the WinShare and that should stop your plugins/jails from working.

####
But if it's working for you now you can choose to stick with it, it's just my recommendation.

Last edited:

Contributor
Morning Joshua,

I understood your suggestion, and upon hindsight realised I didn't really want something called WinShare - that should have been the name of my CIFS share.

So, I created a new pool called Media & moved all my movies, tv & download folder structure to there (using the shell - growing in confidence!).
I also created another pool called Data & moved my non-media data to there. I now realise this serves me better because it'll be easier to configure permissions on sensitive data.
I then deleted the WinShare pool!

I remapped the sick, couch & sab folder locations (and obviously the jail storage) & changed ownership to the media (816) user. Anyway - everything works beautifully.
I've even managed to set up a shared sql library for XBMC which works very rapidly (not hard I know, but wasn't something I was expecting).

Bottom line - I'm well pleased. When I bought my hardware to build my freenas server, I wasn't expecting to get all my automation on it too and its just great - although it's made my PowerEdge R200 redundant!

I couldn't have done it without your help so I'd like to buy you a couple of beers, if that's ok - PM me a paypal ID and I'll send some over!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Morning Joshua,

I understood your suggestion, and upon hindsight realised I didn't really want something called WinShare - that should have been the name of my CIFS share.

So, I created a new pool called Media & moved all my movies, tv & download folder structure to there (using the shell - growing in confidence!).
I also created another pool called Data & moved my non-media data to there. I now realise this serves me better because it'll be easier to configure permissions on sensitive data.
I then deleted the WinShare pool!

I remapped the sick, couch & sab folder locations (and obviously the jail storage) & changed ownership to the media (816) user. Anyway - everything works beautifully.
I've even managed to set up a shared sql library for XBMC which works very rapidly (not hard I know, but wasn't something I was expecting).

Bottom line - I'm well pleased. When I bought my hardware to build my freenas server, I wasn't expecting to get all my automation on it too and its just great - although it's made my PowerEdge R200 redundant!

I couldn't have done it without your help so I'd like to buy you a couple of beers, if that's ok - PM me a paypal ID and I'll send some over!
great to hear! glad you got everything working how you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.