SABnzbd permission problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuasarBeam

Cadet
I am having a few problems getting SABnzbd to function as desired and it seems to come down to permission problems. I have tried a few of the guides available but haven't been able to get things sorted.

1. My volume is called Storage.
  2. I have a windows CIFS share set up for my main dataset called 'Media'. I set the permission and sharing options according to the 'Configuring Anonymous Access', which created a guest user. I have no problems accessing or reading/writing this folder.
  3. I installed the SABnzbd plugin.
  4. When I don't mount any storage and just download with SABnzbd, there are no errors and the file saves to the jail in: /var/db/sabnzbd/Downloads/complete
  5. If I try and change the Temporary/Completed download folders in sabnzbd to something such as '/media' I get the error: download_dir directory: /media error accessing
  6. I can create folders in the /var/db/sabnzbd/ directory but nowhere else it seems.
  7. Set up storage: Soure:/mnt/Storage/downloads | Destination: /var/db/sabnzbd/Downloads
  8. 'downloads' data set has permissions set to 'downloads' user and group. This dataset and user/group were create from reading the jruehlig.com guide. Only instead of calling things media I called them downloads.
  9. Downloading another nzb again works fine and appears in the CIFS share of my downloads dataset.
  10. The CIFS share is set to 'Allow guest access' which allows me to see the files, but I do not have read/write permissions.
  11. So far any permission changes I make to allow me to make changes to the downloads dataset (i.e. giving it guest permissions like my main data set) also cause sabnzbd to stop working. It throws out the error: Failed making /var/db/sabnzbd/Downloads/incomplete/>nzb name<
So presumably I am missing something or made some error in my permission settings. I really need write access to the folder otherwise nzbdrone can't manage any downloads. Not really sure what to do as I can get both the things I want but not at the same time!

QuasarBeam

Cadet
Just a quick update.

If I change the permissions of the 'downloads' dataset so that 'downloads user' is the user owner, but make the group owner the 'guest group' it seems that I can both read and write to the dataset through windows CIFS and sabnzbd has enough permission to download the files. However it does put out this error for each file being downloaded:
Cannot change permissions of /var/db/sabnzbd/Downloads/incomplete/>nzb file<

Having so many errors probably isn't ideal so I am still hoping for a better solution.

QuasarBeam

Cadet
Okay I managed to manually create a downloads folder in the /mnt/ directory in the sabnzbd jail.

So now my mounts are:
Source:/mnt/Storage/downloads
Destination:/mnt/downloads

And SABnzbd folders are:
/mnt/downloads/incomplete
/mnt/downloads/complete

I checked and there are incomplete and complete folders inside of /mnt/downloads so all the folders are created successfully.

Permission for completed downloads is set to 777 in sab.

Now with downloads user and group as owners of the downloads dataset I get the error in sabnzbd:
Cannot change permissions of /mnt/downloads/incomplete/>nzb files<

Then once it downloads
Cannot change permissions of /mnt/downloads/complete/>nzb files<

Last edited:

QuasarBeam

Cadet
So I have everything apparently working for now, sabnzbd still throws out a heap of permission errors but it isn't preventing me for doing what is required.

Can anyone who has the sabnzbd plugin comment on whether the 'Cannot change permissions of >mounted folder<' is normal or not?

mclarkin9681

Dabbler
I am curious as well. Have you figured out or found out why SAB throws those permission errors? I am getting the same thing.

QuasarBeam

Cadet
I am fairly sure the cause is permissions within the jail preventing SAB from modifying the files and so it puts out errors. However as everything works fine and I can ignore the errors I am happy enough with how it works currently. One of the problems I found was if I created the storage and destination mount, and then changed the permissions of the storage the permissions would also change within the jail (as they are now linked). So I had to change the permission of my storage before linking it into the jail to get things working. However I may now have incorrect jail permissions causing the error messages, but since things work fine I am leaving well enough alone.

Triumph

Dabbler
I'm getting the same thing, I've noticed that in my setup somehow Sabnzbd is using (user: media, group: media) while Sonarr is using (user: media, group: wheel)
I didn't change any default parameters.
I followed Joshua's Guide on changing the plugin's account (Sabnzbd to using media:wheel since Sonarr was working correctly like this) and everything is working fine, however I see a ton of error messages saying "Cannot change permissions of" my incomplete download folder.

Edit: I dug around in the log files and found this coming up at the same time:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/pbi/sabnzbd-amd64/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sabnzbd/misc.py", line 1500, in set_chmod
os.chmod(path, permissions)
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/<USERNAME>/downloads/incomplete/****REMOVED RELEASE NAME*****/<HASH>ee74aeb.part03.rar'

Last edited:

Mimpd

Cadet
So, since SAB can't actually chmod the files I just removed the option in Settinge>Folders (Permissions for completed downloads).
No more errors:)

Status
Not open for further replies.