Running rclone in FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm sure I've already derailed this thread too much, so let me start a new one instead. The guide mentioned in that thread got me looking at rclone, so I set up a jail to run it, and it's merrily syncing away to Google Drive. But I've been thinking a bit since then about whether a jail is really necessary or appropriate.

rclone is distributed as an executable binary in a .zip file. The installation instructions call for unzipping it and copying it to /usr/local/bin/, which of course would be the appropriate place to put it in a normal FreeBSD system. But since it's apparently self-contained, I'm wondering if it wouldn't make just as much sense to put the binary somewhere on the pool and run it directly in the FreeNAS environment. Just seems like a simpler way to go. Thoughts?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
put the binary somewhere on the pool and run it directly in the FreeNAS environment
Can't think of a compelling reason not to do this. I use containers for things that have web interfaces, but not for standalone utilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.