Running freenas on old intel socket775 or buy some new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasboot

Cadet
Ok, i have a windows server right now with four jbod drives. This is as you now not the best way to storage files, but because lack of knowledge it just went that way.

The server has:
*P5Q Deluxe
*Intel e5400
*2x2gb ddr2 pc6400 ocz ram Reaper HPC

This must be some decent hardware to run freenas. But i'm not planning to run my old drives. Instead I'm planning to get six brand new Western Digital Caviar® Green™ 2TB. I want to run theme in zfs raid2 so i get 8tb with two "hotspare" drives.

I have also read that freebsd/freenas like memory so i will also get a some new ddr2 ram so i got total of 8gb of ddr2 pc6400. sould i go for some more ocz reaper ram thats expensive or should i get some standard corsair ram?

I read that most of you guys run freenas on a usb-memory, I have a pair of ide to CF converters. Should i get some cheap CF memory or should i go with the stream and run it on a usb-memory?

I found thsi cf-memory cheap, but will it be able to run freenas? http://www.dealextreme.com/p/transcend-133x-high-speed-compact-flash-cf-card-2gb-12352

The server will share videos/music for my computers and also store photos and some documents.

I will stream 1080/720p movies, but just one movie to one computer at the time.

The chipsets that my mother board uses:
*Intel P45/ICH10R
*Marvell 88SE6121
*Silicon Image Sil572
*Marvell 88E8056/88E8001®

//DasBoot

ProtoSD

MVP
sould i go for some more ocz reaper ram thats expensive or should i get some standard corsair ram?

I don't see any reason why the cheaper RAM shouldn't be ok.

I read that most of you guys run freenas on a usb-memory, I have a pair of ide to CF converters. Should i get some cheap CF memory or should i go with the stream and run it on a usb-memory?

There are a few people that boot the CF using an adapter, but most of us use USB flash. If there's a problem you're more likely to find help if you use USB, but if CF is cheap enough why not try it.

I want to run theme in zfs raid2 so i get 8tb with two "hotspare" drives.
The two 'hotspare' drives you are talking about are actually parity drives. They aren't assigned, it just means that you can lose any 2 of your disks and still access your data. Hotspare is different, it's when you have a drive that's plugged in etc, but not but used for any data storage, it just sits there waiting for a drive to fail and then it automatically replaces the bad disk.

Other than that it sounds/looks like you should have a pretty nice system.

dasboot

Cadet
I don't see any reason why the cheaper RAM shouldn't be ok.

There are a few people that boot the CF using an adapter, but most of us use USB flash. If there's a problem you're more likely to find help if you use USB, but if CF is cheap enough why not try it.

The two 'hotspare' drives you are talking about are actually parity drives. They aren't assigned, it just means that you can lose any 2 of your disks and still access your data. Hotspare is different, it's when you have a drive that's plugged in etc, but not but used for any data storage, it just sits there waiting for a drive to fail and then it automatically replaces the bad disk.

Other than that it sounds/looks like you should have a pretty nice system.

ok, i just read what the WD WD20EARX wasen't good drives for zfs raidz2. Is SAMSUNG F4 HD204UI a better choice for a 8tb six drive raidz2 array?

Milhouse

Guru
I've no problems using 4x HD204UIs and FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC1, just don't enable APM on these "Green" drives (leave it "disabled" in the FreeNAS GUI) as it's quite aggressive and will unload and park the heads within seconds of the last data access (spin down should work fine though).

tmacka88

Patron
hey mate systems sound similar to mine as below. Im getting quite good speeds ave 70-80MB/s R & W. Sometimes gets unto 100MB. Yeh these speeds will defiantly support streaming 1080P. you could stream to 8ish computers at the same time. Provided you have Load sharing setup. I would go with the DDR2 rather than the USB RAM. and setup load sharing . This will keep your movies from glitching if you transfering data to the drives at the same time. That is if you are join to be doing that, I would advise it anyway.

dasboot

Cadet
Sounds good, will place an order on six HD204UI tomorrow.

Will a SanDisk Micro Blade 8GB usb-memory do fine for freenas? 15/10mb's read/write

Milhouse

Guru
Doesn't freenas have a recommended requirements of 4gb?

Nope, it's only recently (since 8.0.1-BETA3) required 2GB, as previously 1GB had been sufficient. A 4GB stick would be fine, but definitely not required.

ProtoSD

MVP
Milhouse, I think he might mean RAM.

Dasboot, you need a 2GB Flash disk, and a minimum of 4GB of RAM if you plan to use ZFS (Officially it's supposed to be 6GB minimum of RAM).

Milhouse

Guru
Milhouse, I think he might mean RAM.

Dasboot, you need a 2GB Flash disk, and a minimum of 4GB of RAM if you plan to use ZFS (Officially it's supposed to be 6GB minimum of RAM).

Ah right, in that case yes, 4GB RAM is the minimum realistic requirement.

dasboot

Cadet
Got a new usb-memory and six HD204UI. I'm hoping to get the hardware next week. But one question is till remaining. Version 8 or 7? I will use it as a storage pool for all my movies (4tb) and a few gigs of music an pictures. But I would also like to have the opportunity to run a webbpage on it to. Version 7 can do it out of the box (tried the live cd), but freenas 8 doesn't. Can i manually get it to work later in v8?

dasboot

Cadet
Ok, got the stuff and it's upp and running. Really love this setup, work really good with a average write speed of 65-80mb/s.

Does any one have a working solution to get a webb server running on freenas 8?

marcusmarcus

Explorer
I think I read that FreeNAS 8 uses lighttpd for it's web interface, maybe you could get to the command prompt and configure another web site with the lighttpd but not sure.
I'm just going to wait until FreeNAS 8.1 RELEASE is out, this should have the plugin feature and web server is one of the plugins. 8.1 is hopefully going to be out by the end of the year.
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Roadmap_for_8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.