Run FreeNAS on vSphere to be NFS server to other vSphere hosts?

ajbrehm

Dabbler
I am planning to use FreeNAS on a HPE server to act as NFS server for two other HPE servers running vSphere.

Out of curiosity I am wondering if it is possible/makes sense to run FreeNSD virtualised on vSphere as well, using local storage, and still acting as NFS server for the other vSphere hosts. This would also allow running a TrueCommand VM on the same host. All three servers have 4 cores and 32 GB RAM. The entire collection is a test environment at my house with no productive purpose.

Any ideas?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, this will work. There are some specific caveats with running ZFS safely/stably on a hypervisor, which are covered well in the blog post "Yes, You Can Virtualize FreeNAS" here:

While this is a "test environment" I would still make sure you look at the "Production" configuration though. The "Non-Production" guidance in the post is more for those who just want to get used to the FreeNAS UI/UX, test out new versions, and to paraphrase, "there's no data you care about." Losing your test environment might not be on the same level as a business losing data, but your time has value as well and I don't imagine you'd be eager to redo all of your hard work - so try to lean towards a "production ready" setup.

You'll also need to consider that whichever host has the local storage will have to give up some resources (2 cores and 16GB, I would say) so that won't be available for use by VMs. Posting the full hardware details of your HPE hosts will help here.

A specific note on the NFS with vSphere piece though - the vSphere NFS client sends its writes as synchronous. The short version is that you'll likely need to deploy a Separate Log Device or "SLOG" otherwise you'll find your hypervisors will have extremely poor performance. (If your disks are all SSDs, though, you may be fine without one.)

Welcome aboard!

ajbrehm

Dabbler
Thank you, that's very good. I see I made the right choice.

The host is a 4 core CPU with 32 GB of RAM and will run only the FreeNAS VM and a TrueCommand VM and no other VMs ever. (All other VMs should use the NFS provided by the FreeNAS VM.) Alternatively I would install FreeNAS bare metal and use a NFS-based VM for the TrueCommand appliance.

I am also thinking about backups. I currently back up my VMs using a PowerShell script running on a Windows 10 VM which clones each VM while it is running creates a OVA (VM archive) file from the shut-down clone. I am curious whether I can get something to work based on NFS. I can probably clone the VMs and create OVAs from the shut-down clones.

Ironically most (nearly all) of my actual guests are Windows Server. I just couldn't find an more useful NAS than FreeNAS. There are no Windows-based NFS NAS and all of the Linux-based NAS one can buy seem rather unsuitable for my semi-professional purpose. And since I already replaced by few Linux VMs with FreeBSD, it seemed natural to have a BSD-based NAS.

ajbrehm

Dabbler
I ultimately used a 2-core 8 GB HPE server for TrueNAS with four 2 TB SSDs setup up as two 2 TB ZFS software RAIDs. It works very well.

ramib

Dabbler
I ultimately used a 2-core 8 GB HPE server for TrueNAS with four 2 TB SSDs setup up as two 2 TB ZFS software RAIDs. It works very well.

I was working with FreeNAS for a long time as VM under VCENTER 6.7 all the devices are used an RDM's so moving them back to a dedicated FreeBSD/FreeNAS is a straightforward if you need in the future

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I was working with FreeNAS for a long time as VM under VCENTER 6.7 all the devices are used an RDM's so moving them back to a dedicated FreeBSD/FreeNAS is a straightforward if you need in the future

Careful; while a local RDM should in theory be equal in functionality to passthrough of a PCIe HBA, "theory" and "practice" often diverge especially when VMware is involved. Use of the latter (PCI passthrough) is highly preferred especially when critical data and/or sync writes are in play.

ramib

Dabbler
Careful; while a local RDM should in theory be equal in functionality to passthrough of a PCIe HBA, "theory" and "practice" often diverge especially when VMware is involved. Use of the latter (PCI passthrough) is highly preferred especially when critical data and/or sync writes are in play.
I have been moving the same disks/pools (disks where created originally on FreeBSD 9) several times from FreeNAS/FreeBSd to RDMS and now again to TrueNAS , no issues so far , but no more this time :)