Rsync to Local Drive from GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

djlax152

Dabbler
Hi Guys, just curious why in FreeNas 8 they took out the ability to Rsync to local drives from the GUI. I noticed in Freenas 7 you can do this from the GUI and when i searched the forums I found at least 50 posts of people asking for the Rsync command to sync to local drives. It would be really nice to have the convenience of this feature because anyone running any type of RAID knows that if your Array goes down it is almost impossible to recover the data. So backing up to a local drive is a really useful tool to have. I know best practice should be an offsite backup but for my home moving to a local drive or external is good enough for me just as long as I have some kind of backup. Any thoughts?

Keep up the good work! love the new BETA 4! plugins work much better after upgrading them!!

joltman

Dabbler
ZFS Snapshots or RSync

Why not just put another drive on your FN box (SATA to USB, or just a single internal drive). Next, you can make it a single drive ZFS "array". Then you can run ZFS snapshots directly to the drive. You'd have to keep the drive constantly attached to run auto-backups and you can setup automatic jobs to sync that data to the external drive.

I do something similar. I have my Ubuntu desktop (12.04 x64) and one of these attached:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

I have the RSync service setup on my FN box. I have an RSync script on my Ubuntu box. I turn on the dock (with a 500GB drive attached) and then run the script whenever I want (usually once a week). It will pull the latest info from the FN box. This method is great because the drive is not attached to the FN box. If there's a power surge at the FN box, it won't affect my backup.

If you don't use Linux/Ubuntu, then you can accomplish the same thing with Windows and "robocopy" and FN using CIFS shares.

maurertodd

Dabbler
I second the idea of GUI enabled local rsync tasks. This was a feature of 0.7. There were even times when a local task pointed at a remote system worked when a client task won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.