Rsync speed issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dord

Dabbler
Hi guys,

So basically I run rsync to sync a folder between my freenas machine (on my home network) and a remote folder on a debian server outside of my network. (rsync -avzh over ssh)

When I run the exact same command on my debian laptop from my home network, I reach the expected speed, the only limitation being the bandwidth (around 7MB/s). But when I run it from the freenas machine, the speed is 6x slower, even though both machines are on the same network, and using similar rsync versions (3.1.x)

With speeds this slow, I don't imagine the bottleneck coming from either the CPU or disk IO, and reporting is showing that everything is pretty quiet.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

snaptec

Guru
Did you try rsync in daemon mode?
If that is working correctly and you have a firewall capable of vpn just use a vpn tunnel and connect to the rsync modul.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Dord

Dabbler
Thanks guys.

Spearfoot, I tried running rsync with all the arguments from your script, but unfortunately no improvement there. I had tried turning off compression and using arcfour already, so this is not surprising, but I tried in case one other argument from your method would somehow make a difference, but sadly no.
I am still confused as to why the reporting shows the CPU never exceeding 15% usage if this is where the bottleneck is coming from, I may not be understanding the usage properly.

Snaptec, that's brilliant, I tried in daemon mode, and indeed it works correctly, so SSH is the culprit here, but VPN isn't an option.

So I am thinking about something, the data I am transferring is absolutely not sensitive anyway (movies and such), so I am thinking about setting up the daemon with read only and hosts allow so only my home network would be able to access it. Does that seem secure enough?

Thanks guys, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

snaptec

Guru
You have to decide if it's okay that the data is unencrypted.
Accessing with hosts allow is possible. Do you have a static ip?
You can also setup user/password on rsync in daemon mode.

But if ssh is possible, a little OpenVPN Server should also :)
Just my opinion^^

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Dord

Dabbler
I hear you, and you are right that it would be more secure and a better solution. I have a dynamic IP, but I set up DDNS and that seem to work, so I should be all set. I trust hosts allow more than user/password since it's not encrypted.

I have OpenVPN set up on my home network, but just couldn't be bothered to set it up on the remote server at the moment, doesn't seem worth the effort from my perspective. Like I said I only have movies on the remote server, nothing anyone wouldn't able to find on tpb anyway, so I don't care that the data is unencrypted. Additionally I still don't really understand why rsync over SSH is so slow, so I am also wondering if I wouldn't end up with the same speed issue using a VPN connection.

So I am adding setting up OpenVPN on the remote server to my backlog of 'nice to have', and when I have the time to give it a try, I will make sure to report here the results. But in the meantime I will go the daemon route, which gives me the speed I need while still being fairly secure considering the non sensitive nature of the data being transferred.

Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.