rsync failed to set permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLIMaxPower

Explorer
So I finally changed from JBOD to raidz2 and am trying to rsync over my lan from my backup freenas server.

The raidz2 volume is N40LRaidZ2. It has 2 datasets. Pool1 and PoolX264 which are CIFS shares.

I am getting this error rsync: failed to set permissions on "/mnt/N40LRaidZ2/Pool1/filename.txt.

I am doing this via shell: rsync -azv --progress --delete /mnt/Pool2Backup/ user@192.168.1.6:/mnt/N40LRaidZ2/Pool1/.

Backup server is 9.11
RaidZ2 server is 9.2.1.7.

I assume this has go to do with chmod and not being able to change permissions.

fracai

Guru
Is the backup a ZFS dataset? If so, just use replication.

If not, you can either get around the problem by using sudo in front of the rsync command "sudo rsync" or you can open up the permissions of Pool1. 777 should allow you to get the files in and you can then tighten them back down. You'll probably want 755 or 775.

If these suggestions don't mean anything to you, you should start by reading the rsync, chmod, and chown documentation.

SLIMaxPower

Explorer
Backup is a straight 1 to 1. Chmod on 9.2.1.7 has been removed, hence the issues with rsync the data back.

I am now painfully copying using a third machine via CIFS shares.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
chmod definitely still exists in all FreeNAS versions. It's required for many many setups, so it's definitely not even something that would be considered for removal.

marian78

Patron
Hi, i have similar problem with backup from one freenas v9.2.1.8 to another v9.2.1.8. All settings are default (setup are same as in documentation), i use windows acl and CIFS (extended ACL - default settings from sharing settings "Apply Default Permissions:"). Now problem is also with rsynch modules as root user, that have access to all data. It failed for me because "Nov 3 11:56:41 fileserver1 rsync: rsync: mkstemp "/archive/archive/xxxx/aaaaa/.cccc.ccc" (in fileserver2) failed: Operation not permitted (1)".... I thing that extended ACL make rsync modules unusable.

Replication is fine, but i want use rsync to keeping all files forever on backup server include deleted files on data server (if some user accidentaly delete files on data server, and he will see it after 2 year).

SLIMaxPower

Explorer
chmod definitely still exists in all FreeNAS versions. It's required for many many setups, so it's definitely not even something that would be considered for removal.

What I should of said was chmod as well as rsync is coming up operation not permitted (1).

What has changed in 9.2.* to stop rsync and chmod on this system ? and how can i get around it ?

Can I downgrade the 9.2.1.7 box to 9.1.1. I know there was a zfs update for the storage devices.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
9.2.1.x has added a feature that should have been around for a while. chmod/chown/chgrp has the ability to fubar ACLs. To prevent corrupting ACLs you get an operation not permitted error *if* it would cause corruption. So your question shouldn't be "how do I get around it". The question you should be asking is "how do I set ACLs" and you do that with the setfacl command. ;)

Downgrading is not supported and generally doesn't work. I will tell you that theres quite a few reasons why I can pretty much guarantee you that you couldn't roll back. But, if you are willing to install 9.1.1 from scratch and redo all of the configuration from scratch it *might* work if you haven't updated the zpool. If you have upgraded the zpool there is no option unless you plan to destroy the pool too.

SLIMaxPower

Explorer
I have read another post on setfacl which I have attempted to get my head around. I did a couple of test runs and thought i had it set but rsync still fails on some operations.

marian78

Patron
and still is there question about rsync modules, that is in freenas GUI and dont work under root user...

SLIMaxPower

Explorer
9.2.1.x has added a feature that should have been around for a while. chmod/chown/chgrp has the ability to fubar ACLs. To prevent corrupting ACLs you get an operation not permitted error *if* it would cause corruption. So your question shouldn't be "how do I get around it". The question you should be asking is "how do I set ACLs" and you do that with the setfacl command. ;)

Downgrading is not supported and generally doesn't work. I will tell you that theres quite a few reasons why I can pretty much guarantee you that you couldn't roll back. But, if you are willing to install 9.1.1 from scratch and redo all of the configuration from scratch it *might* work if you haven't updated the zpool. If you have upgraded the zpool there is no option unless you plan to destroy the pool too.

Now I have issues with sickbeard/sabnzb unable to write to folders that they were previously. This is a total balls-up. going back to 9.1.1.

edit. Can't do a GUI "upgrade" and a new install will kill my jails.

How do I set permissions for jails to write to pools as well as rsync to to copy atrributes, and allow window users to write/del

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.