RStudio app from TrueCharts: has anyone successfully installed this?

Eric999

Dabbler
I can get to the RStudio logon screen but cannot get beyond that.

I am looking for any type of guidance doc/video which walks through installing and customizing the TrueCharts RStudio app, but am not finding anything.

Thanks.

truecharts

Guru
That's an incubator app.
So "might not work at all"

Eric999

Dabbler
That's an incubator app.
So "might not work at all"
Good point. I will check it once in a while in the hope that it continues to develop. I had a VM with Docker and a Rocker container running on my TrueNAS Core machine but am looking to simplify that with TrueNAS Scale.

aseimel

Dabbler
For me the app actually works fine if you create a new user and give it write access to the working directory.
The problem is only that these setting get reset as soon as the container restarts.

Code:
sudo adduser newuser

sudo passwd newuser

sudo chown -R newuser home/newuser

Last edited:

Eric999

Dabbler
For me the app actually works fine if you create a new user and give it write access to the working directory.
The problem is only that these setting get reset as soon as the container restarts.

Code:
sudo adduser newuser

sudo passwd newuser

sudo chown -R newuser home/newuser

These commands are done in the terminal window of RStudio?

aseimel

Dabbler
These commands are done in the terminal window of RStudio?
You run this in the shell of the container and you need to chnage the username to whatever you want your user to be called. Also, it is possible that the "passwd" is not necessary

Edit: It would be really helpful if somebody had an idea how these changes can be made persistant because it works fine but as soons as the container restarts all the settings are gone. That is also when I select a persistent dataset for the confid and worspace

Last edited:

Eric999

Dabbler
I am still looking for some specific guidance with setting up the RStudio app. There has been an upversioning of the app since my original post almost 6 months ago. Is there a contact for who is working on this? Perhaps I can be a tester for this app?

truecharts

Guru
I am still looking for some specific guidance with setting up the RStudio app. There has been an upversioning of the app since my original post almost 6 months ago. Is there a contact for who is working on this? Perhaps I can be a tester for this app?

We're not active on this forum anymore, besides an sporadic update announcement...
checkout the website on how to reach our staff ;-)

Eric999

Dabbler
I think I finally understand what @aseimel was suggesting. In Apps, when highlighting the rstudio app, there is an icon to jump into the shell. Once there, you can create a userid and password (I had been trying to do this within the app definition, "Edit -> Image Environment", without success). All seems to work fine until the rstudio app is stopped and restarted, which results in the userid and any projects disappearing. So, I think my problem comes down to what I am focusing on. I want to stand up an RStudio app with a permanent system area (userid, etc.) and working area (my RStudio projects). I would like to learn how to do this for the RStudio app. But it looks like the information on how to do this is not in some specific TrueCharts-RStudio-app-documentation but, rather, is buried in the overall documentation about TrueCharts ... with all of the customization/complexity that has for TrueCharts apps in general. If I were interested/had the time to learn about everything TrueCharts, this would still be somewhat challenging.

Looking forward to comments on this.

app_rstudio.png

truecharts

Guru
g. In Apps, when highlighting the rstudio app, there is an icon to jump into the shell. Once there, you can create a userid and password (I had been trying to do this within the app definition, "Edit -> Image Environment", without success). All seems to work fine until the rstudio app is stopped and restarted, which results in the userid and any projects disappearing. So, I think my problem comes down to what I am focusing on. I want to stand up an RStudio app with a permanent system area (userid, etc.) and working area (my RStudio projects). I would like to learn how to do this for the RStudio app. But it looks like the information on how to do this is not in some specific TrueCharts-RStudio-app-

As stated above, if you need help with our charts, it's always best to reach out to our support staff directly.
It's likely not the case that any crucial info is "burried", but it's hard to filter at based on the info given here.

Eric999

Dabbler
Not looking for a fight ... not even looking for a discussion. Just my two cents.

I did an upgrade in TrueNAS Scale recently and any app, including spinning up simple ones, e.g. OpenSpeedtest, does not work. Any apps I had are lost and I cannot spin up any. I am not running production, thank heavens, but it is still too much. I want to treat apps as a USER ... I am a developer in 10 other things and am stretched a bit too thin. At some point, things just need to work.

I see people reaching out for help on this while they are dealing with chaos as they attempt to continue providing service to their users, And, if they receive any response at all, it is not very helpful.

I look forward to seeing how TrueCharts works out; I really hope it becomes a solid, easy-to-use feature of TrueNAS. But I need a break from the apps portion; I'll check back in sometime in 2026. In the meantime, I will get done what I have to get done with Docker.

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
Not looking for a fight ... not even looking for a discussion. Just my two cents.

I did an upgrade in TrueNAS Scale recently and any app, including spinning up simple ones, e.g. OpenSpeedtest, does not work. Any apps I had are lost and I cannot spin up any. I am not running production, thank heavens, but it is still too much. I want to treat apps as a USER ... I am a developer in 10 other things and am stretched a bit too thin. At some point, things just need to work.

I see people reaching out for help on this while they are dealing with chaos as they attempt to continue providing service to their users, And, if they receive any response at all, it is not very helpful.

I look forward to seeing how TrueCharts works out; I really hope it becomes a solid, easy-to-use feature of TrueNAS. But I need a break from the apps portion; I'll check back in sometime in 2026. In the meantime, I will get done what I have to get done with Docker.

"thinks just need to work"
Sometimes things break or things just don't work, that can be any number of cases.
If no apps work at all, that's mostly a SCALE issue more than a TrueCharts issue.

However, that's why we've dedicated support staff available to help out, because we understand users need help sometimes.

Users here often don't recieve a response, because we're simply not(very) active on this forum.
We've about 20 dedicated staffmembers helping out dozens of users each day, but we've decided to only do so using our own support system. It's simply not possible for us to give free(!) support at the scope we're operating at, if we spread that over all sorts of third-party forums.

Basically asking here is like asking for help with installing "the sims" on the microsoft-windows forums, there is a chance someone might help you. But close to zero chance EA-games support would actively try and reach-out to help you there.

To be clear though:
TrueCharts is not "a feature of TrueNAS", we're a totally seperate unrelated project.