RS720-E6/RS12 Server with 12 3.5 inch SAS Bays

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucsfan069

Cadet
I have a ASUS RS720-E6/RS12 server loaded with 20GB RAM dual processors and 12 Bays of Disks. I am having a hard time setting up FreeNAS. SO I thought I would ask here and see if anyone knows of a reason that it would not work properly on this server? I did search for this server in the forums but did not get any results.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your question is rather vague. You have to explain exactly what is going on.

bucsfan069

Cadet
I guess I was looking for an answer if this server could support running FreeNAS. The actual error is a message about no drives available. I am hoping that I can determine if anyone else has successfully gotten this setup to work. I have an option to use a RAID card but that only supports 8 drives, then the other 4 are on the onboard SATA controller. I am not sure if I should move all 12 of the drives to the onboard SATA or if that is supported by FreeNAS.

Stux

MVP
There's only 6 intel Sata ports...

The specifications mention an LSI MegaRAID controller on board and various raid card options.

bucsfan069

Cadet
I have read that you should not use RAID with FreeNAS, so does this mean this server is a bad choice for FreeNAS? I have never used freeNAS and am looking for an experienced user to give advise. I was hopeful with the 12 Hard Drive slots and SATA/SAS connections, but I am feeling like the whole thing seems to not be cooperating...

Stux

MVP
You can use a raid card if it can be put/cross flashed into IT mode

tvsjr

Guru
It's not necessarily a bad choice. Worst case, you install an HBA (like the venerable LSI 9211) and don't use anything on-board. You need to know two things to get started:
What make/model of RAID card does it have on-board? If it's something that can be crossflashed to IT mode, you're golden.
If not, is the hard drive backplane an expander backplane or not? Google isn't helping me here.

bucsfan069

Cadet
Thanks for the response, OK so the RAID card is a Adaptec ASR 5805 (https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/raid/sas_raid/sas-5805/). I do not see any specs that talk about IT Mode on the web but I am still looking for the manual. I don't mind investing in a couple of cards if that will work to make FreeNAS happy. I am not sure about the expander backplane, the backplane has individual SATA plugs for each of the 12 Drives. I can tell you there are 14 SATA plugs on the Motherboard and they are color coded 4 RED, 2 Black, 4 RED, 4 BLUE. I have been reading in the manual for a description (https://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/RS720-E6-RS12/Manual/490868?page=32).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Stux

MVP
Then it's not an expander backplane.

You'll just need breakout cables from the HBA

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

tvsjr

Guru
https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/RS720E6RS12/specifications/
https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/Z8PED18

6 of those ports go to the southbridge, the other 8 go to the add-on IO controller. Assuming the backplane is SATA, not SAS, since you don't have an expander backplane, you could at least run 8 drives to a 9211-8i and the other 4 to the MB. I'd look for a spot inside to mount an SSD for your boot device - Velcro is your friend.

Looking at the picture, I would ASS-ume the red and 2 black grouped connectors go to the SATA controller and the 4 red/4 blue grouped go to the add-in IO daughtercard.

bucsfan069

Cadet
OK so what I am hearing is that I can purchase a 9211-8i and run 8 HDD's to that, then run the remaining 4 HDD's to the Onboard SATA. Then use a SATA SSD drive to run the OS...OK That sounds reasonable...I will work on getting the 4 onboard recognized then order the card for the other 8. I appreciate all of your help in determining if this will work.

tvsjr

Guru
That's how I'd approach it. You'll also need breakout cables (search the forums, I can't recall the proper number) to take the 4-port connections on the 9211 and convert them into 4 discrete connections to plug into the backplane.

bucsfan069

Cadet
Will the breakout connectors for the adaptec controller card work for the LSI? or are they different pin-outs?

tvsjr

Guru
Will the breakout connectors for the adaptec controller card work for the LSI? or are they different pin-outs?
Probably, although the board looks like SAS controller connectors are those other 8 ports on the board. So I'm surprised there's a breakout cable in there.

Stux

MVP

The pinouts are standardised, so if it physically connects it should be good. Mini SAS aka SFF-8087 to SATA/SAS breakout

looks like this:

81CzaZmcUQL._SY355_.jpg

Stux

MVP
Manual: https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/RS720E6RS12/HelpDesk_Manual/

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 12.41.43 AM.png

The SAS ports are driven by the "optional" PIKE card... which has a funny second slot thing going on... presumably to connect the SAS sockets to the card... nuts.

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 12.45.25 AM.png

Ergo, I assume the SAS ports on the mobo are dead if the card is not installed... and the card would probably be useless for FreeNAS.

So, install an LSI HBA, and some breakout cables, and you should be good. ASUS recommends using the 4 blue SATA ports in the 4 lower ports on the backplane.

bucsfan069

Cadet
Yup there are two of those in the chassis, they go to the adaptec RAID card, I am pulling the card now and trying to access the onboard SATA drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.