Reworking my storage - requesting advise on my reconfiguration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesoultanian

Dabbler
Hi,
Thanks to everyone that's been helping me so far to understand FreeNAS - it's been much appreciated!

So, I'm going to start reworking our storage because it's currently a huge mess of drives of different sizes, types, multiple volumes, even more zvols, and it just led to different admins moving VMs all over the place and making a general disaster out of things.

Right now I have 24 1TB SSDs and I plan to make one big RAID 10 volume for that - if I can get the $$, I'll add another 24 1TB SSDs, but if not, I'll upgrade the installed HDDs instead (we have 80 slots available in the JBOD)..... So, I currently have a bunch of 600GB HDDs and 1TB HDDs and even some 240GB drives - the goal is the replace all of the 600GB and 240GB HDDs and standardize on 1TB HDDs as we just need to have things more uniform. These are 2.5" drive bays so it also makes drive selection a bit more tricky. So, here's about how things are currently set up:

- SSDs are on one volume which is split into two 5TB RAID 10 zvols.
- HDDs are just a mess of Volumes and I don't even care how they're configured because I'm going to wipe everything off of them. There is no important data on the HDD volumes.

CLEANING UP THE SSD VOLUME
For the first step I'm thinking that I'll consolidate the two 5TB SSD zvols to be one large one - well, actually two zvols, a small 1GB zvol for the Hyper-V witness, and one large zvol for all the VM data. We're going to back up everything tonight, but I still want to be 100% sure I'm deleting the correct zvol. Is there a way for me to browse the files from within FreeNAS so as to confirm which zvol has files and which doesn't? When I look at the iSCSI connection in Windows, I'm kinda able to match up the LUN number with the target, which then matches up to the extent, which I can then associate with a zvol, which I can then match up with a volume, so I think I figured out which is which, but it's still tricky and so many layers away from the storage that it would be nice to have a one-to-one match as to where my files are - I'm thinking making an SMB share would be another way to confirm. When I go into /mnt, I see the volumes, but when I traverse into those folders there are no subfolders or anything that resembles my files.

I guess another way to do this would be if I could easily (and non-destructively) disable the zvol/extent/target to verify that the drive that I expect to be gone in Windows is truly gone and there isn't a cross-up somewhere? If I understand correctly, I can delete an extent, but I can't delete a zvol without losing my files.

EXTENDING THE SSD VOLUME
Once I've removed one of the two 5TB SSD zvol, I would like to extend the zvol and associated extent (which currently has data on it). According to "10.5.9.1. Zvol Based LUN", I can edit the zvol and extend it to the full 10TB. Once I do that, according to "10.5.9.2. File Extent Based LUN" I'll then need to extend the Extent using this command: "truncate -s +2g /mnt/volume1/data" - obviously changing the parameters to match my setup. What is weird, though, is that in my /mnt/[myvolume] folder, there is no "data" folder, so I'm not sure how that'd work...

CLEANING UP THE HDD VOLUME
As for the HDD side, I'm just going to wipe out all the volumes and then create a large RAID 10 volume of the HDDs. I'll create a new zvol for that storage and then make it available over iSCSI like above.

As I purchase new 1TB drives (SSD or HDD), I'll add them to their respective volume, extending them accordingly.

Does anyone see any glaring issues that I'll run into? From all the reading it seems like this is possible, it's just the extending part that I'm nervous about. I created a FreeNAS VM so I'm testing this stuff out there as well to get a better feel for how things work.

Thanks!

Thomas102

Explorer
Hi,
Easy way to browse files from the GUI is to run mc in a shell but iSCSI shares disks(block devices), not files.
  • command like "truncate -s +2g /mnt/volume1/data" is to run on the iSCSI client, not FreeNAS
  • You need a iSCSI client to browse files.

Stux

MVP
Disable the extent you plan to delete. And check the right one goes away I guess

Thomas102

Explorer
Hi Thomas,
What do you mean by "remove the share"? This is an iSCSI connection so there is no "share" as I understand it.
Sorry to say but at some point you have to open the GUI and test by yourself to first understand how are configured your targets and then what you have to remove.

mikesoultanian

Dabbler
Sorry to say but at some point you have to open the GUI and test by yourself to first understand how are configured your targets and then what you have to remove.

I'm fine doing testing, but you said remove the share, so I'm curious what you mean by remove the share - in the GUI there is nothing labeled as "share". Are you referring to deleting the extent?

Thomas102

Explorer
What I mean is that you can delete anything under the share section of FreeNAS (target, extent, association...). It will not delete the file or zvol containing your data.
What you want to do is more about "error testing" that shouldn't happen in real life. You have to test how it behaves and then define your own procedures.

mikesoultanian

Dabbler
Ah, yes, I see what you mean. Last night I was messing around with my VM with a bunch of drives, removing them, adding them.. somehow managed to crash FreeNAS - but that's what needs to be done to learn it and understand how it works.

What I did notice is that changes to iSCSI don't seem to be reflected on the client until I restart the iSCSI service on FreeNAS. This will be a bit of a challenge as I have a production box and I need to rework iSCSI connections but I can't bring everything down to make changes, so I'll need to find a better way (than disabling shares) to confirm which extents match up with connections on the Windows side.

Status
Not open for further replies.