Review my choices please

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

Cadet
So I am trying to put together a FreeNas box to replace my blue screening NAS/media server.
Basically I want this to be as power efficient as possible but still have enough power to be viable for the next few years. It will mainly be used as a torrent box, backup station, media streamer and perhaps run a website or two. I want it to be able to plex transcode 1080p movies to at least two clients at a time while still maintaining read/write performance. I also want it to be able to use Raid Z1 or Z2 depending on how many more drives I splurge for. My budget is just about the sum of whats listed below with a small wiggle room.

Intel Core i3 4130
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3V
8gb ddr3 ECC
4x 4tb WD Reds
Corsair 430W PSU
Ultra Case

Basically I feel like my only concern is the ECC memory on that motherboard. I assumed that as long as the processor supported ECC memory that the motherboard would run it, but I have yet to find that backed up by any sources. Do I need a different motherboard for this build to work?

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The B85 chipset doesn't support ECC RAM... so you're going to need to pick something else. Look at the Supermicro boards... ECC support requires that the CPU, motherboard(technically the chipset) and RAM support ECC. In your case the system might POST and function with ECC RAM installed, but you will not have the ECC function.

masteroc

Cadet
The B85 chipset doesn't support ECC RAM... so you're going to need to pick something else. Look at the Supermicro boards... ECC support requires that the CPU, motherboard(technically the chipset) and RAM support ECC. In your case the system might POST and function with ECC RAM installed, but you will not have the ECC function.

Thanks, this is just the info I was looking for. Any other comments about the builds functionality?

Also, any motherboards in the $60-$80 price range you would recommend?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not for that price, no. You're talking about $150 to $160 for the cheapest Supermicro. Keep in mind if you buy cheap you may very well be buying twice once you find out that 1/2 the hardware isn't supported in FreeBSD. That's why we don't recommend ultra-cheap boards in the price range you want.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Consider a Seasonic G-360 instead of the "Corsair 430W" (which I assume is the CX430). It's enough for up to 10 drives, build quality and component choice is much better and its output is significantly better than that of any low-end Corsair. It's not much more expensive, either, and it's more efficient (not that it makes much difference).

Status
Not open for further replies.