Reverse Proxy informations

luferberry

Cadet
Hello,
Let me introduce you the context of this thread.

[Context] : Create a home cloud and have acces outside of my network (for personnal use).

The path i've followed.

[Absolute begginer] --> [Introduction to Network class] --> [know lot of basic theoretical stuff] --> [Google search] --> [TrueNas + Nextcloud] --> [here]

As recommanded here : sretalla response ,
I've followed the very good script (by @danb35) (Scripted installation of Nextcloud 23 in iocage jail)
I've match all the requierements, cloudflare DNS..., and runned the script with succes, and got a certificate.
I can now acces from my local network !
But now, I need to extend this acces to outside.

2 major issue :
- 1. My internet provider locked acces to router.
- 2. I don't know enought about networking

First one, i've contacted them, they are very friendly and are ready to help me with port fowarding or other stuff.

The second one is why i'm here.

As far as i know and read, i need to "create" a reverse proxy, i've read about NGINX, but i'm a bit confused.
Not sure if i'm taking the right direction here.
Should i continue in this direction or maybe there is alternate way to take to archieve the [Context] ?

Thanks for reading,

Luf'

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
@danb35 already sets up a reverse proxy (caddy) with his script, so if you followed that, you already have one.

If your jail has its own IP address, you would port forward port 443 (and maybe 80) to it and if your domain is already forwarding to the public IP of your router, it should all come together.

danb35

Hall of Famer
@danb35 already sets up a reverse proxy (caddy) with his script, so if you followed that, you already have one.
Eh, kind of. If OP used my script to set up Nextcloud, he's running software (Caddy) that can be used as a reverse proxy, but it isn't configured as one (just like Nginx in the official plugin). But he doesn't really need a RP; he just needs the relevant ports open and pointed to the jail's IP.

danb35

Hall of Famer

NoeHawkins

Cadet
Hi. Although this post is a bit old, I wanted to chime in with my thoughts. NGINX is still a great option for a reverse proxy, and there are likely to be many helpful resources available online to guide you through the process.

danb35

Hall of Famer
NGINX is still a great option for a reverse proxy,
Of course it is, though I don't know what it has to do with the "mobile proxy" you mentioned earlier today. There are lots of good options for reverse proxies, including (but not limited to) nginx, Caddy, Apache, Traefik, and HAProxy. Which one to use is dictated by the application requirements as well as user preference--I like Caddy, for example, and I'm reasonably familiar with its (very simple, which is one of the reasons I like it) configuration syntax, so I'm probably going to lean toward using it where it makes sense. Someone who's more familiar with nginx will probably lean that way. There may be cases where neither of those pieces of software is really suitable, so there it might make sense to use something else.

The OP in this thread, though, didn't need a reverse proxy at all; he just needed the relevant ports open to the Nextcloud jail.