Restoring Network Connections

BlueApril

Cadet
Good evening,

I am new to Freenas and would greatly appreciate your assistance.

a. BACKGROUND
With the Covid19 lockdown I at long last have time on hands to make a lot of changes around the home I have been planning for a while. This led to me successfully completing installing a copy of Freenas on an old laptop at home for my wife to store our family photo's on. I mapped the network drive on her old laptop (Windows 7 machine) whereafter she copied all of our family photos to the NAS. I then tried to map the drive with the same credentials on her new laptop (Windows 10 machine). I was unable to map the drive on her new PC and after reading some threads online made changes to network settings on the new laptop. At this stage I was able to see the drive in Sharing, but not able to connect to the drive.

This led me to make some changes as suggested online in the Freenas GUI - if I remember correctly I only changed the home directory permissions of my user account and extended permissions to access date - which resulted in the both the old and new laptop being able to see the folder in network sharing, but unable to connect to the drive. Now, upon clicking on the mapped drive (which show disconnected) the following error pop's up:

Restoring Network Connections
An error occured while reconnecting to {drive}: to \\{ip address}\{foldername} Microsoft Windows Network: The network name cannot be found. This connection has not been restored.

The Consule setup on the machine where FREENAS is installed did have an alarming message that made my heart skip a beat. It read: "GEOM_ELI: Device da1p1.eli destroyed." Checking online, this does not seem to be a issue...

Still, this led me to log into the GUI with root account, I can luckily see that:
a. the pool is in tact,
b. no errors in alerts homescreen,
c. The drive data on homescreen shows that data is on the disk.
d. when I edit the user, the file structure with subfolders in the disk is there.

I have rebooted all systems safely and yet no joy... Any help or suggestions on how I can reconnect to the drive mapped previously?

BTW: I have as per suggestion in previous posted thread tried the root account details, still no joy.

Thank you for your assistance, its greatly appreciated.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I suspect your laptop might be set up to automatically obtain an IP address via DHCP, and it's gotten a new one. Check your home router's logs or the console on the laptop itself to see if it gives you a clue as to what the new address is, and map the drive there.

Also note that a laptop isn't really a good choice to run FreeNAS - especially if it only has a single drive.