restarting jail causes reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

estrabd

Dabbler
I am running the latest 9.3 on PE 2950. The controller is a m1015 flashed to the lastest IT firmware. All systems are a go...

Except when I stop a jail and restart it, FreeNAS crashes. When done via the WebGUI, I find a message like in the image attached. It hangs for a few minutes, then reboots.

If I start the jail via command line (warden start <jailname>), it hangs without an error output. Then it reboots.

The machine will boot up fine, jail included. A couple of other things to note:

1. this host machine is running a very simple pf nat
2. I have set the jail to use the host as the gateway
3. a "netstat -r" on the gateway prints not values (so gateway is not getting set)
4. relevant portion of dmesg for jail seems to be,

bridge0: bpf attached
bridge0: Ethernet address: 02:a1:e5:5c:0b:00
bce1: promiscuous mode enabled
bridge0: link state changed to UP
epair0a: bpf attached
epair0a: Ethernet address: 02:50:42:00:0c:0a
epair0b: bpf attached
epair0b: Ethernet address: 02:50:42:00:0d:0b
epair0a: link state changed to UP
epair0b: link state changed to UP
epair0a: promiscuous mode enabled
lo0: bpf attached
ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair0b

Any thoughts? Could the reboot have anything to do with some weird network/gateway interaction?

TIA,
Brett

Attachments

• IMG_1734.JPG
    IMG_1734.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 230

Nick2253

Wizard
My 10,000ft guess is that there's something bugged about FreeNAS and networking. That being said, I doubt it will ever be fixed, because your configuration is not supported. FreeNAS was never designed to do any kind of routing.

D

dlavigne

Is VIMAGE checked for the jail (in Advanced Mode of its settings)? There are known issues between VIMAGE and PF which result in system crashes.

Spacemarine

Contributor
I'm having the same problem. I just did a fresh install of Freenas 9.3 and installed the crashplan plugin. Inside the jail I installed bash using "pkg install bash". Now the whole machine hangs and reboots when I restart the jail.

Spacemarine

Contributor
I testes it two times, it hung both times when I restarted the jail. Then I deleted the jail and installed everything again just like before. Now that strange behavior is gone, everything works as expected.

Nick2253

Wizard
Why did you install bash? You don't need to. Just use tcsh.

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm not sure where you got that information, because the CrashPlan FreeNAS plugin does not have bash, and does not need bash. I don't know if you're trying to make your own custom CrashPlan jail, but from what other people have reported here, it's not easy, because, as you point out, CrashPlan does not have an official FreeBSD version.

If you're using the CrashPlan plugin, then you shouldn't need to install any additional packages on it. There are some modifications you need to make to get it all working, but those have been pretty well discussed around the forums here.

Spacemarine

Contributor
The crashplan update-mechanism needs bash. I saw the error message myself, the update process got cancelled because /bin/bash was missing. After installing bash, the update went smoothly.

This is discussed in pretty much every crashplan-topic here on the forums at the moment.

Nick2253

Wizard
That's actually only true for 4.4.x upgrades. And really, you don't need to update CrashPlan at all. Even the 3.x versions still communicate with the server and newer clients just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.