Resetting an overprovisioned SSD

dashoe

Dabbler
On TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1 I used a couple of cheap generic 120GB SSDs to experiment with a mirrored SLOG vdev. I went further and overprovisioned them with the cli command
Code:
storage disk resize disks={"name":"sdr", "size":"16"}

That all worked as expected and even though these drives are not recommend for SLOG the improvement in write performance was obvious. I'm done with my experiment and ready to invest in a proper SLOG device but I want to restore my two SSDs back to 120GB. I used the cli command
Code:
storage disk resize disks={"name":"sdr"}

leaving out the size argument which is supposed to revert the SSD back to original capacity. The command completes without error but the SSDs remain at 14.91GiB capacity. I've re-tried after cycling the power but to no avail.

Looking at this post, I wonder if spining up a verison of Truenas Core would give me more options to recover the drives? I guess I'll try that unless someone has an easier solution.

Appreciate any advice on this.

Kailee71

Contributor
I'm really not sure what TNS does in the background, but have you tried this? At least if it shows the expected (reduced) capacity then you'll have a good chance of reviving the unused space again.

Kai.