Reset Pool ACL Freenas 11.3

I have two pools on my Free NAS server running FreeNAS-11.3-U3.1. One of the pools I set up a while ago (storage) and one them more recently (Cache). 11.3 no longer allows you to change your ACL permissions on root datasets. I went to go add another user to my old pool (storage) and could not get that user to be able to access the dataset in this pool. However I had no issues getting access to my more recently setup pool (Cache). I think I have narrowed the problem down to being the ACL privileges of the root dataset, but as mentioned earlier I can no longer edit those via the GUI. My question is how do I reset/edit ACL settings of root datasets via the shell using setacl, winacl, or another command. All help is apprectiated.

Output from getfacl mnt/storage (old pool that I need to change).
Code:
# owner: nobody
# group: 1000
            owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
            group@:r-x---a-R-c--s:-------:allow
         everyone@:r-x---a-R-c--s:-------:allow
root@freenas[/]# getfacl mnt/storage

Output from getfacl mnt/Cache (newer pool that I need to match acl settings).
Code:
# owner: root
# group: wheel
            owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
            group@:r-x---a-R-c--s:-------:allow
         everyone@:r-x---a-R-c--s:-------:allow
root@freenas[/]# getfacl mnt/storage

While trying to debug this I did a completely fresh install of FreeNAS on the system so all settings should be default except for the imported setting from reinitializing these pools.

I ended up solving this using chown root:wheel /mnt/storage

All my ACLs work as expected now. I really hope someone finds this useful if they run into the same problem. It's not a problem immediately obvious when you run into this issue.

jstrebel

Dabbler
Hi, I have the same Problem. ( am new to Freenas 11 and therefor ACL, still learning)
Before I am going to apply your fix my Question:
I assume the users in the directories below /mnt/**** will belong to the original user names.
Example: unsername1:wheel unername2:wheel and so on.

If I understand your question correctly, yes the original ACL settings of the subdirectories are preserved. This change is not applied recursively. This only changes the owner and group of the root dataset of a pool. Only change these settings if the root dataset of a pool does not have root as the owner and wheel as the group. If they are not set to these values sub ACLs will not work correctly. You find this out by running getfacl mnt/your_root_datset.

William Bravin

Contributor
hello all

i am pulling the little hair i have left out of my skull. I must be doing something really stupid. however i cannot figure out what

here is the situation

i have 4 datasets
music
movies
documents
tv shows

all have in their ACL item settings
owner
group
everyone
emby
wbravin (me)

all with permission type basic and permission full control

the owner of these ACL is me wbravin of group wheel

before saving i select to apply permissions recursively. simple enough

all datasets have a recycle bin

i have windows 10 credential permission for this server as wbravin and same password

now the problems

i can delete a file or a folder from all or any dataset and the file will go to the proper recycle bin

all my issues are with one dataset.... tv shows

when i do my weekly maintenance of my system i clean these recycle bins

the recycle bin creates a folder (wbravin) with all the deleted files
now i want to delete these files however i get and error message that i need permission from freenas\wbravin ..... 1st issue

i check the security properties of the folder and i see everyone, freenas\wbravin however they do not have full control
If i try to change their permissions i get a failed to enumerate objects in the container. access denied

2nd issue again with the tv shows dataset, in windows i can go to the server select tv shows select the show but when i go to the season i get a network error windows cannot access \\freenas\tv shows\show\season folder
you do not have permission to access \\freenas\tv shows\show\season folder

what the foubar am i doing wrong and how can i fix it

thank you for your patience in reading this blurb and for responding

Last edited: