reported transfer speed higher when permissions do not allow write

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAStard

Dabbler
Does anybody know what is happening internally when I consistently see the rsync-reported transfer speed 2.5x higher than what I usually see when the transfer actually works as expected (not blocked by permissions violation) ?
Code:
$ mount_nfs 192.168.1.42:/mnt/p1/unix_data ~tester/mnt
$ rsync -ah --progress pentoo-amd64-default-2015.0_RC3.8.iso /Users/tester/mnt/
sending incremental file list
pentoo-amd64-default-2015.0_RC3.8.iso
          3.64G 100%  145.01MB/s    0:00:23 (xfr#1, to-chk=0/1)
rsync: mkstemp "/Users/tester/mnt/.pentoo-amd64-default-2015.0_RC3.8.iso.zsLv7V" failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1236) [sender=3.1.1]

Compared to when the permissions correct (different share, in this case):
Code:
01:34 $ rsync -ah --progress pentoo-amd64-default-2015.0_RC3.8.iso /Volumes/WinShare/
sending incremental file list
pentoo-amd64-default-2015.0_RC3.8.iso
          3.64G 100%   56.94MB/s    0:01:01 (xfr#1, to-chk=0/1)

This is just a burning curiosity. Meanwhile I am going back to read more threads to see best practices on how to properly set up pools, datasets, and shares.

If there is a good trouble-shooting page for permissions probs, then I need to read it.

Thx!
:)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It's because nothing is getting transfers and the way rsync reports speed must cause it to do a strange calculation before it gets a permission problem.

There isn't really a permission thread. There are lots of random threads taking about it though. You can also learn about it all over the internet since it's the same everywhere.

NAStard

Dabbler
Sorry, I should be more expressive and informative. :)
I created a misunderstanding.
I know a lot about permissions in Unix. :)
Windows is a different matter altogether.
However making perms work within FreeNAS is complicated unless using the Wizard. I think the reason the Wizard was created was due to the difficulty of making things work by configuring each relevant config individually. At least that is what I gather after reading a lot of FreeNAS stuff.
It's nice that FreeNAS is a solid implementation. Lots of quality here.

Cheers,
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.