Replication NO GO

eea

Cadet
I am trying to setup a replication task from freeNAS 11.3-U3.2 to a GhostBSD (20.04) pool.
The freeNAS system cannot see the pool on the GhostBSD computer. I can ssh
both ways to each computer from the command line without entering a password.
When setting the destination computer I ger CallError [EFAULT] AuthenticationException
('Authentication Failed'). I can PULL from the GhostBSD system but not PUSH from
freeNAS. I believe the steup is broken on freeNAS. The documentation is sparse in
detailing using other operating systems with freeNAS. Replication seems to work
between two freeNAS systems but is problematic with freeBSD MacOS or Linux.
I would like to use BSD as a workstation hosting freeNAS backup datasets.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
First, replication does NOT use SSH keys in /root/.ssh, which is the most common misapprehension. You need to create a SSH keypair in the GUI under System->SSH Keypairs for the replication, and you can use the contents of /root/.ssh/id_rsa and id_rsa.pub in the SSH keypair fields for private and public keys, respectively. Name this key something memorable, which you'll need in the next step, like FreeNAS_replication_key.

Then, create a SSH connection under System->SSH Connections. You'll select the Keypair under the name you just created in step 1. Here you enter the account info on the remote side. Click Discover Remote Host Key to populate the remote host's SSH public key. Name the connection something memorable, but different from the key name, like GhostBSD_SSH_connection.

In the replication task, use the SSH Connection just created.

eea

Cadet
Hello, Samuel
Thanks for the handholding. I stepped thru your solution but I still cannot set the destination for the replication on the GhostBSD system!
I am still getting the AuthenticationException as always! Is there a way to troubleshoot the SSH_connection in the GUI? Could something
need to be set on the Ghost side?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
On the GhostBSD side, did you add the FreeNAS public key into root's .ssh/authorized_keys? And checked /etc/ssh/sshd_config to see if PermitRootLogin is set to either yes or prohibit-password?

Last edited:

eea

Cadet
Hello, Samuel
I finally got the replication going. Thanks so much! I probably suffered from the common misapprehension that you mentioned
earlier, stubbornly using ssh-copy-id of the root folder. Copying the public SSH Keypair enabled browsing on the GhostBSD computer!!
Problem SOLVED!

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2020-07-12 15-31-46.png
    Screenshot at 2020-07-12 15-31-46.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 315