Replication Error - not enough values to unpack (expected 4, got 1)

True-Fan

Cadet
I have a issue with TrueNAS Scale (version TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3) that we are running in a virtual environment for testing and validation of the platform. I just want to state that I am aware that there are specific rules for running a virtualized system, and for the basic testing, we are not following those rules. This is not a production system, just one that we are using in the VERY shrot term without any production data. The system is in Hyper-V, and is completely virtualized (including the disks, which we would not do for real use, only in temporary testing, as ZFS requires access to the physical disk to work correctly).

That being said, the system specs are as follows:
16GB RAM
6 Virtual Cores
4 Stroage Virtual Disks
1 vdev - RAIDZ1 with 3 virtual disks with approximately 240GB of storage total

The issue we are seeing is with replication only. While working on our testing to be preformed, we are seeing that replication is failing when replicating to another physical TrueNAS Scale system, however, replication and restoration to/from the cloud seems to work without issue. The initial local connection is successful, but the test TrueNAS core system errors out immediately after connection with following (Log Attached):
ERROR [replication_task__task_31] [zettarepl.replication.run] For task 'task_31' unhandled replication error ValueError('not enough values to unpack (expected 4, got 1)')

I have looked on the forums, and searched the internet for similar issues, and found one in this forum, but the OP had modified the login profile for the root user to start a tmux session. We have not changed any configurations not avalible in the web GUI.

We have gone though and removed, then re-created the replication tasks and ssh connections, but that has not resolved anything. This worked in inital testing, but after putting this thing through test after test, it is no longer working. Again, we have not modifed anything outside of the GUI (except for removing the ssh keys in .ssh/authorized_keys after testing connections), and cannot quite determine why we are seeing this error. The line of code refferenced in the error message is in "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/run.py"
run_replication_task_part(replication_task, source_dataset, src_context, dst_context, observer)

We are obiously missing part of whatever is going on there, but I don't know what part. Has anyone seen a similar errors during evaluation of their own systems?

Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• 19618.txt
    2 KB · Views: 36

True-Fan

Cadet
The issue we are seeing is with replication only. While working on our testing to be preformed, we are seeing that replication is failing when replicating to another physical TrueNAS Scale system, however, replication and restoration to/from the cloud seems to work without issue. The initial local connection is successful, but the test TrueNAS core system errors out immediately after connection with following (Log Attached):
ERROR [replication_task__task_31] [zettarepl.replication.run] For task 'task_31' unhandled replication error ValueError('not enough values to unpack (expected 4, got 1)')

I have looked on the forums, and searched the internet for similar issues, and found one in this forum, but the OP had modified the login profile for the root user to start a tmux session. We have not changed any configurations not avalible in the web GUI.

We have gone though and removed, then re-created the replication tasks and ssh connections, but that has not resolved anything. This worked in inital testing, but after putting this thing through test after test, it is no longer working. Again, we have not modifed anything outside of the GUI (except for removing the ssh keys in .ssh/authorized_keys after testing connections), and cannot quite determine why we are seeing this error. The line of code refferenced in the error message is in "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/zettarepl/run.py"
run_replication_task_part(replication_task, source_dataset, src_context, dst_context, observer)

We are obiously missing part of whatever is going on there, but I don't know what part. Has anyone seen a similar errors during evaluation of their own systems?

Thank you for the help!
Sorry, I stated in the inital post that the test system was TrueNAS Scale, then TrueNAS Core in the 3rd paragraph. We are only working with TrueNAS Scale. There are no TrueNAS Core systems involved at all.

True-Fan

Cadet
For anyone who runs into this error for replication, we were able to resolve the issue. The problem ended up being that we were using the admin user for both the Admin Username and the SSH Username in the SSH connectoin. The admin user, by deafult is not given allow provelages to ZFS, and there seems to be an issue when running it as sudo as well, even with passwordless sudo (though I am not sure that passwordless sudo was actually correclty configured). In the end, since this command could not be run correctly, it was not returning the correct infomration casuing the error that we saw in the original post.

The resolution was to use the admin user for the Admin Username and root for the SSH Username in the SSH connection used for repliction.