SOLVED Replicating my datasets to a temp server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evertb1

Guru
I have been using FreeNAS for some time now and want to correct/alter some things on my FreeNAS file server before it gets the bulk of my data. One of those things is changing my storage. I will destroy the current pool (2 x 2 mirror) and build a Raidz2 pool with 6 disks. I don't want to be in a hurry so I want to have a temp file server.

The FreeNAS file server holds about 1 TB data (1 volume and in 4 datasets). I want to replicate the datasets to the temp server. Replicating the whole volume at once failed due to a problem with the System Dataset. Not a real problem because replicating the individual datasets worked OK. However, I ended up with "read only" datasets on the target server (volumemanager shows "Readonly on" for the datasets).

I have made a windows share on one of the replicated datasets and in Windows I can browse it and open documents. But I can't write.

The name of the dataset is "PublicAdministration"
In the shell I have performed the following command line:
Code:
zfs set readonly=off PublicAdministration

This results in the following message:
cannot open 'PublicAdministration': dataset does not exist

I tried the following as well:
Code:
zfs set readonly=off /mnt/BackuptTank/PublicAdministration

This result in the following message:
cannot open '/mnt/BackuptTank/PublicAdministration': invalid dataset name

When I give this command:
Code:
ls -lo /mnt/BackupTank

I get this:
total 17
drwxr-xrwx 21 root wheel uarch 21 Feb 14 21:38 PublicAdministration

So the dataset exists and can be found apparently. I must be doing something wrong with my command lines but at this point I have no idea what. Some help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evertb1

Guru
You'd identify the dataset as pool/dataset: zfs set readonly=off BackupTank/PublicAdministration.
Thanks. Worked like a charm. I feel a bit foolish that I did not tried that. Must have been late. This job is jinxed. Just when I resolved the "read only" problem I got the critical message that the volume was degraded. One of the disks died on me. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.