Replacing Disk / Error: [EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk da3 [EFAULT] Command gpart create -s gpt /dev/da3 failed (code 1): gpart: provider: Operation not

w.reidlinger

Dabbler
Hi there!
Got some problem with a 3TB WD RED Disk so I wanted to replace it. While I started the replacing process in the Web GUI an a error poped up:

Replacing Disk
Error: [EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk da3: [EFAULT] Command gpart create -s gpt /dev/da3 failed (code 1): gpart: provider: Operation not supported by device

I was able to put the drive offline and tried the replacement process again with the same error result. I also used the Force option, but no difference.
Also used the shell but if you don't have the new disk already in place you can't execute the comand.

usage: replace [-f] <pool> <device> [new-device] $ zpool replace pool1 ada3p2 cannot replace ada3p2 with ada3p2: no such device in pool

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-08-23 09-55-55.png
    Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-08-23 09-55-55.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 272

Alecmascot

Guru
From reviewing what guys did when in a similar position to you ; the easiest thing to do is to put the drive in a Windows macchine and destroy all the partitions, then try again.

Yorick

Wizard
/dev/da3

What is the replacement device connected to? It looks like the rest of your drives are SATA, adaX.

And yes. Wipe the partition table on that drive, on a separate machine so you don't accidentally wipe a drive on FreeNAS you didn't mean to wipe.

You can always do a gpart show on the drive, like this: gpart show /dev/ada3

Be glad the manual replace didn't work. FreeNAS uses gpt-ids because the device names can change. You want to stick with that convention. zpool status shows you the GPT IDs in use, and geom PART list shows you all partitions and their GPT IDs.

Last edited: