Replacement of Seagate Savvio 10K.5 900GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndersG

Dabbler
Hi,

We are about to replace some Seagate Savvio 10K.5 900GB disks that are about to give up. I would appreciate some suggestions for replacement drives and strategy. I would prefer to replace them one by one while the system is online, but not if there are any significant worries or drawbacks. In the end, I guess we will replace all of them quite soon. I guess the size must be exactly the same or larger for one by one replacements in the exisiting pool to work.
After reading some statistics I'm currently thinking of WD XE 900 GB. Would it be possible to exchange the savvios one by one if I go for WD or do I need to take it offline and create a new pool?

We use our storage for databases and online data which needs reasonably fast access.

Any other ideas for suitable disks?
Are there any reasonably priced SSDs that are reliable enough?
Any other thoughts on the hardware?

Our current hardware:
  • Supermicro X8DTH
  • 2x E5620 @ 2.40GHz
  • 48GB DDR3 RAM
  • 2x LSI SAS9211-8i (IT) + built in SMC2008IT
  • 4x Intel 311 20GB SSD (syspool + ZIL)
  • 8x Seagate Savvio 10K.5 64MB 900GB SAS (6 disk raid z2 + 2 spare)
  • 2x Intel 510 Series 2.5" SSD 250GB (cache)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Didn't I post something here yesterday? Weird...

I guess the size must be exactly the same or larger for one by one replacements in the exisiting pool to work.
There is some wiggle room, so you're free to replace the drives with nominally-equal-sized drives, even if they are slightly smaller (<2GB).

AndersG

Dabbler
There is some wiggle room, so you're free to replace the drives with nominally-equal-sized drives, even if they are slightly smaller (<2GB).

Sounds great! Then there is hope that we can use the WD XE 900GB to replace our savvios without starting from scratch.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I should look into that. How much RAM would I need?
L2ARC and RAM consumption is one of those "it depends" questions. The variables include the size of the device and the pool's block size. There's some discussion early in this thread and plenty more to be found around the forums. Some people quote a rule of thumb that any system with less than 64GB of RAM isn't going to benefit from L2ARC, but that's a pretty blunt instrument.

EDIT: The issue is that the metadata for the L2ARC is held in RAM, thus leaving less RAM for ARC.

Status
Not open for further replies.