SOLVED Hard Drive In RAIDZ2 - Pool Upgrade /Bad HDD Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASbox

Guru
I'm hoping one of the ZFS ninjas on this board can help me with the following questions:

I've got a ZPOOL with 4 x 3TB Seagate drives (lousy drives, but at the time there was no reasonably priced alternative). One of the drives is showing a few bad sectors, so I want to replace it. I was thinking about upgrading the pool to 4 x 6TB WD Red drives. My questions are:

1. Can I increase the size of the pool by swapping the drives 1 at a time and letting the pool re-silver?
2. What is the impact on the pool of only replacing 1 drive? Does this do any harm/degrade the pool?
(Is my understanding correct that: the pool will use the drive, but limit it to the size of the other drives - i.e.3TB)? I was thinking of replacing the drives 1/month for both cash flow reasons and also giving me time to find out how the WD Red drives perform (and make sure I have drives from different batches to decrease the odds of multiple simultaneous failures). Any problem with this strategy?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You are correct on your assumptions and you replacing strategy seems good.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just make sure your backups are in working order and all original drives are in good health, since you'll be in a degraded state each time you swap drives.

And follow the manual to the letter - FreeNAS can be slightly unintuitive at times.

NASbox

Guru
Thanks that helps to know I'm on the right track... I've done a replacement before when I first built the box. I loaded the pool up with junk, took a disk out, wiped GPT and resilvered just to see how things worked.

SirMaster

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.