Replacement for QNAP, Primary Purpose Kodi

smokey-chris

Dabbler
Hi All

I currently have a QNAP 453A which I host windows file sharing from (SMB I think), also websites, but its primary purpose is to run Kodi.
It runs a full Kodi version in what it calls HD Station (a front end for HDMI).
I then use the HDMI out to a HDBT matrix which is routed to each room.
Sorry this info is important as I do not want to use other devices (firesticks, kodi boxes, PC's or apps to access my Kodi).
The 4 drives are now full, and I want to sort of repeat my setup which I love and works well - but with more HDDs and better expansion (less limitation than 4 drives).

I have bought a case, I plan to buy new IronWolf Pro HDDs or WD Reds - and run a RAID.
I have also bought a new AM4 CPU, motherboard and RAM. I will buy a decent GPU at soon.

Can FreeNAS be used to run Kodi. I guess my hope was that it was windows software running within Windows.
If it cannot - as I've seen some posts at it can only be used for PLEX, Embry - which means its not really fit for purpose - is there a way of doing it?
I guess freeNAS is a linux OS - so can it have a Kodi install?
Alternatively are there walk arounds for my application using VMs; and has anyone experience?
If this is the wrong software all together, can anyone help advise an alternative for my application which relies on my goal on having a sole server for running Kodi/hosting files.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Can FreeNAS be used to run Kodi
Not easily.

as I've seen some posts at it can only be used for PLEX, Embry - which means its not really fit for purpose - is there a way of doing it?
I wouldn't recommend it for the stated purpose. You might be able to get something to work with a Windows VM, passing through the video card, but as already stated, that's something for the highly experienced (and even tricky for such a person).

I guess freeNAS is a linux OS - so can it have a Kodi install?
TrueNAS is FreeBSD Unix. There is a Kodi pagkage for FreeBSD, but it requires a GUI (not included in the OS components of TrueNAS and you can't really mess with that part of it and expect to stay supported)... additionally, pkg is disabled for TrueNAS.

If this is the wrong software all together, can anyone help advise an alternative for my application which relies on my goal on having a sole server for running Kodi/hosting files.
I'm not aware of too many NAS os options that allow the NAS itself to be a client/display like the one you have.

Synology was shipping NAS units with HDMI ports at one point, so maybe there's something to trying xpenology (open source version of Synology's DSM). (https://nascompares.com/best-nas-for-hdmi-lots-of-storage-plex-and-music/)

I wish you luck with it, but in my opinion you're going down the wrong road here (certainly with TrueNAS).

A plex server with light clients (either built into most modern TVs or a small Pi/appleTV added to an older one) is much more supportable.

Perhaps you can even sit a Pi (with Plex client or the Plexmbc add-on in Kodi) on top of your box and plug your HDMI out to that.

smokey-chris

Dabbler
I wish you luck with it, but in my opinion you're going down the wrong road here (certainly with TrueNAS).

A plex server with light clients (either built into most modern TVs or a small Pi/appleTV added to an older one) is much more supportable.

Perhaps you can even sit a Pi (with Plex client or the Plexmbc add-on in Kodi) on top of your box and plug your HDMI out to that.

Hi thank you, very comprehensive.
Hope I can bother you for a little more advice.

I did read that freeBSD may be an option too but that looks like a lot of manual/advanced config.

I'm not really sure I understand the streaming bit (forgive the ignorance - this is a far different technology than what I'm use to; so a PLEX server streams to clients. How does this work with UHD and 60Hz 40GB files with Atmos? Can these high file size files cope easily over WiFi? Or does it transcode it to a lower resolution?
Would it not need a powerful processor for hosting many many high-res blurays.

On the PLEX client is there a KODI style HTPC looking interface - its not like DHCP which looks horrendous? Or does it look like the images.
Can a client be skinned to support something like a "kodi rapier skin" - beautiful looking GUI.

smokey-chris

Dabbler
Another last question to my second round, if there are huge amount of files. Lets say music or movies, lets say 3000 movies for arguments sake - how would a PLEX client handle it on the other side? My home has Cat6A installed but I'm still keen to here out large files stream over Wifi or Ethernet?

sretalla