Installing TrueNAS Save Data On Linux ext4 HD

Michale32086

Cadet
I have a small square HTPC running KODI on LibreElec Linux...

This is connected via Ethernet to another LibreElec KODI PC that acts as storage for a 4TB SATA Drive...

I currently have approx 1700 Movies and 7100 TV shows... As ya can imagine, listing the movie directory takes a bit o' time... The TV Directory is a bit faster but there is still a noticeable delay....

I was wondering if I could decrease the response time significantly by making the LE PC into a NAS PC running TrueNAS Core...

Would the effort/benefit ratio be worth it???

Another big concern is losing any data on the 4TB HD...

Any hints tips or suggestions would be most appreciated..

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
It's not worth it. When you create a pool, you format the drives to ZFS. It's not possible to run TrueNAS with ext4 pools. You may have better luck with OpenMediaVault.

Michale32086

Cadet
Thank you for the reply...

If saving the data from the 4TB is not an issue, would TrueNAS with ZFS be a better option than OpenMediaVault, speed access wise???

Thanx again..

Etorix

Wizard
That depends on the hardware…
ZFS, and the underlying BSD in CORE, have more stringent hardware requirements than Linux. ZFS with enough RAM would possibly do a better job of listing the directory, but you may not want to ask how much is "enough".

Michale32086

Cadet
The machine I am planning on using it on is a Quad Core x64 with 8GB of RAM...

Not sure if it's ECC or not..

*-bank:0
description: DIMM DDR2 Synchronous 800 MHz (1.2 ns)
product: GU342G0ALEPR692C6F
vendor: None
physical id: 0
serial: 00000000
slot: DIMM0
size: 2GiB
width: 64 bits
clock: 800MHz (1.2ns)

Thanx for the reply...

Etorix

Wizard
8 GB is not even enough to safely run a recent version of FreeNAS/TrueNAS (16 GB). Better stay with Linux then.