Connection Issues TrueNAS-13.0, MAC and Windows

Maxspencer99

Cadet
Absolute TrueNAS Noob here, so feel free to have fun at my expense!

System details: TrueNAS 13.0 installed on 2017 Dell XPS-8700 with 2 x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB drives + Samsung QVO 1TB boot drive in 'stripe' config. Additionally I have 16GB RAM and Intel i7 4790 processor but not sure of NIC specs.

I wanted to make use of an old PC to take the strain off my QNAP NAS by moving Plex onto a TrueNAS setup. The installation went well and I managed to copy all of the media files (about 1.5 TB) from the QNAP to the repurposed TrueNAS machine.

After installing Plex, I had problems accessing the original Mount Point 'destination' I had set up and so needed to reinstall Plex with a new Mount Point. This prompted the need to move all of my files from an original pool named 'Multimedia' to a new pool called 'Media'. Moving or trying to copy the files via SMB share (Mac Finder) resulted in a string of errors - very quickly, after only approx 150MB of data. Firstly it stated: "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "xyz.mkv" can't be read or written. (Error code - 36). Not sure why it needs to spend any time at all moving (when using move rather than copy) the data when it's on the same hdd/volume and so is just a structural alteration, no? No data has to physically move, does it?

Anyway, after this I am unable to connect to the server at all via Mac or Windows and when I try the web GUI it says that it can't find the server. A reboot is the only way that I can reestablish contact but even then connection is slow and glitchy and when I retry moving or copying the files again, everything crashes.

As I had no problem copying the data from my QNAP NAS, could it be that the PSU (460 Watts I believe) doesn't have enough power to run the new setup in my Dell XPS-8700? I have replaced one HDD (1TB) for 2 HDDs and one SSD. There is space for another HDD and also all the connections are available inside the PC for at least 4HDD/SSDs. When I look at the dashboard on TrueNAS during the move/copy process, there seems very little exertion by the CPU. Thread 2 runs at about 20% capacity until the inevitable crash. I realise that SMB shares only use one thread but even so I'd expected a bit more activity.

All help is greatly appreciated and I apologise if I have left anything useful out. If any screenshots would help, please let me know. I'm no IT expert (as I'm sure you can tell) and I only want to run a Plex server. Please help me discover where I'm going wrong.

Thank you!

Kris Heslop

Dabbler
If you are "moving" the files through Finder, it often does in fact copy performing both a read and write function, which if on the same pool can be much slower. I have found it better to go in under the shell or Terminal-SSH and do the move that way, and it can take an instant to move TBs of data to a new folder...although it feels like sometimes it still copied, but was all internal that way, os still not limited by the network interface speed.

I have also been having issues with my M1 MBP on Monterey after switching to TN13. The connection will drop off and sometimes rebooting one or both machines works and other times it does not.

I have occasionally had some luck going to "Go" and "Connect to Server" using the IP address versus the domain TNServername.local, but not consistently.

I am still attempting to figure out if it is the Mac or the TN...I did just get a new (used) windows machine and have not been able to get it to connect, even though it shows up in the network neighborhood, which might indicate this is more on the TN side, even though I have another Win10 machine that virtually always connects...

Last edited: