SOLVED Replacement Disk Question

Arkhen

Explorer
One of my 7 disks completely died today (says it was disconnected by admin). The disk model is no longer available where I live, but there is a newer same sized equivalent, but with higher cache. Can I use the alternative as replacement, or does it have to be the EXACT same model as the others to work correctly in the same RAIDZ2 pool?

Current disks in my system: WD Red 4TB 5400RPM 64MB (WD40EFRX)
Replacement disk alternative: WD Red 4TB 5400RPM 256MB (WD40EFAX)

Fairly sure this should work no problem, I just won't get the benefits of the 256MB cache on the drive since it will be forced to run the same as its brothers. Just wanted to double check before ordering a replacement drive.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Arkhen

Explorer
Errh, ok... Restarted the system with a cold boot and now the disk is back online and passes a short SMART check.
I'll throw a long check after it overnight.

Weird

(For future reference my question still stands though)

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
So long as the replacement isn't SMR (the larger cache is suspicious in that regard), differences in cache size aren't a problem.

Redcoat

MVP

Arkhen

Explorer
So just to confirm, replacing the disk with WD40EFZX, WD40EFRX, or ST4000VN008 would be fine, since they are CMR?

Looks like the Seagate IronWolf drives are 5900RPM, as opposed to 5800RPM, but I doubt that's going to be an issue.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
That should be fine. There's no requirement that disks in a vdev be the same manufacturer or speed (though there's rarely a reason for the speed to vary much).

ChrisRJ

Wizard
The WDs are 7200 rpm. The official number is "5800 rpm class", which just marketing. You could also look at Seagate Exos, they are often cheaper than the Ironwolf and also come with longer warranty.

Arkhen

Explorer
Thank you! /thread