Rename ZFS pool and general dataset planning question

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
Hello Scale friends. I have two questions that I would appreciate advice on.

System background:
zpool1: mirrored NVME ssds that I assume will be best used for apps and VM install
zpool2: currently 2 x mirrored vdevs used for general file and media storage
zpool3+: multiple single vdevs each in their own pool for chia farm

Question1: I would like to change the name of zpool. @danb35 wrote this a few years back:

Yes, but not through the GUI.
  • Export the pool through the GUI. Be sure not to check the box to destroy all data.
  • From the CLI, zpool import oldpoolname newpoolname
  • From the CLI, zpool export newpoolname
  • From the GUI, import the pool.
Is this still the correct way? And are the default options seen here ok:

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 11.39.55 AM.png

Question 2:

Is it best practice to setup a Master dataset for all apps and then sub-sets within for each app or vm? I.e. Dataset: Apps/Plex/config, Apps/Chia/config, Apps/VM/Ubuntu... Or just one dataset Apps and then create folders under?

I'm new to ZFS so not really sure how to leverage the file system to be the most efficient and don't want to have to re-do all my setup later because I didn't plan correctly.

You'll need to reconfigure shares and tasks to use the new paths (since the pool name / root dataset name is different now.)

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
You'll need to reconfigure shares and tasks to use the new paths (since the pool name / root dataset name is different now.)

I guess that's part of my question - does the "delete configuration of shares that use this pool" option that is check marked mean the shares just totally disappear and must be created from scratch? I would rather keep everything the same (including all the users/permissions etc) and just repoint the shares to the new zpool. So do I uncheck that box and then just edit the share, or does checking the box then prompt me to repoint the shares when I reimport the pool?

does the "delete configuration of shares that use this pool" option that is check marked mean the shares just totally disappear and must be created from scratch? I would rather keep everything the same (including all the users/permissions etc) and just repoint the shares to the new zpool. So do I uncheck that box and then just edit the share, or does checking the box then prompt me to repoint the shares when I reimport the pool?
Uncheck it. When importing the new-name pool, you'll probably get warnings / errors about broken shares and tasks. Just manually, one by one, fix them to point the the correct location/pool.