Rename didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
Now using FreeNAS 8.0.2.

When I first set up FreeNAS I was using four small IDE drives, so I named the volume IDEx4. Then, having established that the thing did work, I expanded it by replacing each IDE drive in turn by a 2TB SATA drive. Now the original name doesn't make much sense, so I tried to rename the volume using the method described in the FAQ, but when I entered the command

zpool import IDEx4 <new name>

it told me that it could not find (or some such wording) IDEx4.

Auto import from the GUI didn't work (no volume displayed in the drop-down box), so I ended up by reimporting a saved configuration file, and now all is OK -- but still with the inappropriate name.

Any way to rename this volume?

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Z300M,

zpool import IDEx4 <new name>

Could that have been the message in the FAQ that says the mountpoint doesn't exist? Like mountpoint /mnt/IDEx4 doesn't exist?

What did 'zpool status -v' say after that?

I need to know what those two things are to help you. It sounds like you saw the error and didn't continue. I'm not trying to imply you did it wrong, but just trying to confirm what you did.

Can you give it another try and post back the results so I can either fix the FAQ or see what's not working right?

Thanks

EDIT: If you can do that and not do anything with the GUI or restore settings, and then let me know, that would be great. I'll be around looking for your reply.

EDIT-2: I should be online ~11am pacific time if you want to try and figure this out.

Z300M

Guru
Hi Z300M,

Could that have been the message in the FAQ that says the mountpoint doesn't exist? Like mountpoint /mnt/IDEx4 doesn't exist?

No.

What did 'zpool status -v' say after that?

I forgot to report that originally. It showed that IDEx4 was alive and well.

I need to know what those two things are to help you. It sounds like you saw the error and didn't continue. I'm not trying to imply you did it wrong, but just trying to confirm what you did.

Can you give it another try and post back the results so I can either fix the FAQ or see what's not working right?

Thanks

EDIT: If you can do that and not do anything with the GUI or restore settings, and then let me know, that would be great. I'll be around looking for your reply.

EDIT-2: I should be online ~11am pacific time if you want to try and figure this out.

I followed the instructions in the FAQ again, and this time

zpool status -v

showed the new name.

Now I see the new name in the GUI, but none of the other machines can see the shares:

net view

shows

\\FREENAS (among others)

but

net view \\FREENAS

reports "There are no entries in the list."

I'm assuming that I have to redo the permissions for each user's shares, but I see the drive lights blinking intermittently over a long period of time, and the edit permissions box does not close and the share is still inaccessible.

EDIT: I subsequently discovered that I had to edit the shares, which still had the IDEx4 name. Now all seems to be OK.

ProtoSD

MVP
EDIT: I subsequently discovered that I had to edit the shares, which still had the IDEx4 name. Now all seems to be OK.

Yeah, when you change your pool name the mountpoint/path changes. I should put a note about that in there I suppose.

Thanks for posting back, I'm glad you got it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.