Rename a shared folder?

avalon60

Guru
To be clear, the "/mnt/WinShare/Media/Old Photos is a data set on my FreeNAS server, and I wish to mount OldPhotos on my Ubuntu machine.

I tried this again
//192.168.0.22/OldPhotos /mnt/WinShare/Media/Old\040Photos cifs credentials=/home/rob/.smbclient
bash: //192.168.0.22/OldPhotos:

rob@rob-Z97:~$ sudo mount -a -vvv
[sudo] password for rob:
/ : ignored
none : ignored
/mnt/WinShare/Media/Music: already mounted
/mnt/WinShare/Media/Films: already mounted
Couldn't chdir to /mnt/WinShare/Media/OldPhotos: No such file or directory

avalon60

Guru
yes I will do that , but I need to change the name of Old Photos to OldPhotos or Old_Photos

When I tried mv Old Photos OldPhotos it returned OldPhotos is not a directory.
Also I tried zfs rename and it flashed up some message about allowing it.

I suggest you read the manpage on zfs rename before you start just trying things.

So in the SMB sharing you have a cifs share created that is OldPhotos which is in reality the path /mnt/WinShare/Media/Old Photos? Are we on the same page?

The command I gave should get it all mounted to Ubuntu if this is the case. Then its a matter of adding the fstab entriy of which rvassar highlighted as I dont know if quotes can be used in the fstab file either. FSTAB entry --->>> //192.168.0.22/OldPhotos /media/old_photos cifs credentials=/home/rob/.smbclient Remeber //192.168.0.22/OldPhotos is the share path, and it is actually the directory on FreeNAS "/mnt/WinShare/Media/Old Photos" this we dont care about for right now becuase Ubuntu will only see the share path //192.168.0.22/OldPhotos Where you have gone wrong is the mount directory on the Ubuntu machine.

Last edited:
I avoid spaces, learned that a long time ago. My advice now is to create the directory on Ubuntu from an Ubuntu terminal sudo mkdir -p /media/old_photos then mount the directory from FreeNAS to this directory using sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.22/OldPhotos/ /media/old_photos -o user=rob

avalon60

Guru
This "/mnt/WinShare/Media/Old Photos" is a data set on my FreeNAS server, and I want to mount it on my Ubuntu machine.

Ok so what should I have done regarding the mount directory. The mount directory on the ubuntu machine is OldPhotos, what should it be, because leaving or having a space between the name , fstab reports:
mount: /etc/fstab: parse error at line 15 -- ignored.

Yes but the SHARE directory is what goes in the fstab on the Ubuntu machine. So go here to see the cifs shares (FreeNAS GUI) Sharing>Windows (SMB) In there you should have an entry "/mnt/WinShare/Media/Old Photos" as the path. What is the share name? OldPhotos?

avalon60

Guru
Yes the share name in FreeNAS smb4.conf is OldPhotos , and the path = /mnt/WinShare/Media/Old Photos

avalon60

Guru
I have found the zfs man page and there are a few options to rename. Which one should I use, as it is a data set or directory I want to rename.
I did rename Old Photos to OldPhotos in the legacey samba share page of freeNAS, but all that did was to create an empty directory, not what I want, unless there is an easy way of transferring all of the files in Old Photos.

zfs rename [-f] filesystem|volume|snapshot filesystem|volume|snapshot
zfs rename [-f] -p filesystem|volume filesystem|volume
zfs rename -r snapshot snapshot
zfs rename -u [-p] filesystem filesystem

When done correctly "Old Photos" becomes OldPhotos and all your things should be there. Wrap paths with spaces "in quotes"

As for getting it mounted as-is. What I said to do in my earlier posts *should work. run this sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.22/OldPhotos/ /media/old_photos -o user=rob on the Ubuntu machine and report output.

Where you are failing is trying to use any path that is /mnt/NAS/Any/Directory on Ubuntu instead of that use the cifs share name "OldPhotos" so this would be the line in your fstab assuming that the directory /media/old_photos exists on the Ubuntu machine..
//192.168.0.22/OldPhotos /media/old_photos cifs credentials=/home/rob/.smbclient should be the actual line now in your fstab.

Now everything in "/mnt/WinShare/Media/Old Photos" on the NAS should now be in /media/old_photos on Ubuntu.

Ubuntu/Windows can only make sense of it written like this //192.168.0.22/OldPhotos , but its actually "/mnt/WinShare/Media/Old Photos". Does this make sense?

Last edited: