Removing public NIC leaving internal NIC after installation

IvanG

Cadet
I have in production a TrueNAS Scale that was installed using its public IP.
Also configured a secondary physical NIC within the internal network. (10.x.x.x)

Although it is not exposing services to the internet (and it should not) aside ssh and the webUI, I want to disallow the public access to it.
What would be the way to do it in TrueNAS?

I guess will be one of:
1. remove from the interfaces page, the public NIC (not sure if it will affect anything else in TrueNAS)
2. disallow the access the the public IP using firewall (not sure what would be the procedure in TrueNAS)

Of course, I need it continue booting properly and being reachable within the internal network.

Thank you

chuck32

Guru
Although it is not exposing services to the internet (and it should not) aside ssh and the webUI,
No, do not expose the webUI and SSH to the public. In fact it may be safer to expose some services to the public rather than the aforementioned.

I'm happily corrected here, but for example I only expose one UDP Port for my Pfsense VM for wireguard access to the public.* Currently I'd consider this safe, if it's not please correct me. I'm planning to migrate to Tailscale in the very near future to avoid any open ports though.

For your question: just unplug the cable and remove the configuration for the NIC.

* Background: a friend replicates to my secondary machine and I use Pfsense to limit wireguard access to the rest of my network. My router is not capable of that, the wireguard instance running there will expose my whole network to any client.

PhilD13

Patron
I'm planning to migrate to Tailscale in the very near future to avoid any open ports though.

I would go ahead and do it. Tailscale will work with Pfsense and both work with Truenas and would be applicable to your example. Tom Lawrence has some videos on both as well as using them together.

IvanG

Cadet
How tailscale has anything to do with the question?
Is there a usecase I am not aware of?

chuck32

Guru
How tailscale has anything to do with the question?
I went slightly OT regarding your question. I wanted to point out that exposing a service may not be unsafe compared to exposing the web GUI.
And then we just came across the topic of Tailscale in order to avoid opening any ports publicly.

I hope I answered your question in my post before.

@PhilD13 thanks! I started looking into it over the weekend and so far it was a breeze to setup in Pfsense. When I first looked at Tailscale I was thrown off by the ACL settings, but basically setting the allowed routes is what I was after.
I'll dive deeper into all the settings / security aspects and report back (probably in a separate thread then).