Remove a Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ov10fac

Cadet
I have been searching the web and here for a few days with no luck. I know this should be simple, but I just can't seem to find the answer.

I have upgraded to a new server and am replacing two external (USB) drives with one SATA raid. I have copied all files to the new drive and now want to simply remove the USB drives from FreeNas.

Both the USB drives are UFS mounts. I expected a simple menu item or button to "remove" or "delete" a volume, but I can't find anything like that.

I am running FreeNAS 8

Any help appreciated.

Similar Issue

I am having a similar issue. I am new to FreeNAS and trying to play around with it on a small test system of spare parts.

It is installed onto the USB key no problem, and see's my small 60GB drive no problem. I then created a Volume as ZFS, and it shows up in the UI under /mnt/data, however, I want to delete it, and try to do some other things with it. I cant find a way to delete.

I am running FreeNAS 8.0.3.

kjertil

Dabbler
Removing disks or volumes

Reading the guide about exporting an ZFS volume does not really answer my question...
How do you erase an failed volume?
I get messages like "an error occured"... when trying to create a RAID volume.
Now i cannot delete it. It just shows up as a volume!

kjertil

Dabbler
I'm sorry if this sounds offensive to anyone, but shouldn't this be one of the key functions of managing "volumes" ?
It feels like this function has been hidden away because of bugs or incomplete functionality.
I would be glad if anyone could clearify...

peterh

Patron
a shell lis concluded for completeness !
In addition the shell is scriptable and may do arbitrarily complex functions ( for those so inclined :smile:

kjertil

Dabbler
yes do i understand that the command prompt COULD be the solution.
How ever i am not a freeBSD guy and don't feel for learning freeBSD just so
i can MAYBE remove a "volume" in freeNAS.
my solution would rather be to aquire another windows 2008 license than spend
this time.
thank you.

peterh

Patron
That's ok with me, what you can't do by knowledge you can solve with spending money.

May the source be with you!

wolf29

Cadet
export is another way to say delete the volume, apparently.
I went ahead and shelled into the system
$ssh root@my_freenas
"mount" shows you all your mounted volumes
"Umount Moldy_volume" unmounts the filesystem
back on the web interface, "Export" gives you a dialog that offers among other things, a checkbox to mark all drives as new.
I did that and the moldy_volume disappeared
"create volume" showed all those drives so I can create a new volume.
Now I just have to check and see if all the freenas users who called moldy_volume home have home volumes.

nrnoble

Cadet
I'm sorry if this sounds offensive to anyone, but shouldn't this be one of the key functions of managing "volumes" ?
It feels like this function has been hidden away because of bugs or incomplete functionality.
I would be glad if anyone could clearify...

I just started using FreeNAS within the past 2 days, so I am still learning what it can\can't do. I decided I wanted to remove one of the small TEST drives I was using and couldn't find a way. I was using a test drive because I didn't want to damage real data. After digging for a solution I found this thread, which confirms that FreeNAS does not include the functionality to unmount drives for reasons I have yet to discover.

As a general high level comment\opinion, FreeNAS is primarily for those who already have a reasonable amount of experience with unix type systems. What the webUI does not do, they simply can do at the console by excuting the require commands. FreeNAS is not for the causal user who is looking for plug-n-play. For those who want something easy\simple to use and configure, a better option is to buy a NAS box for a couple hundred and add your drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.