Remote Backup (Crashplan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooreaa

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. I just recently upgraded my OpenSolaris ZFS file server to FreeNAS and am impressed with the ease of configuration and how fast I have my system up and running.

Now, one things I had on my old system was my file server backing up to CrashPlan. Just a little peace of mind with off-site backups. Having installed FreeNAS, I started looking at how to get Crashplan running and it looks like it requires a linux emulation package that cannot be added to the stock install.

The reason for moving to FreeNAS was to avoid the overhead of having to maintain a custom system so I do not want to go build a custom BSD system and roll my own image.

I would think that some kind of ability to interface to an off-site backup service like Crashplan would be an integral part for everyone file server. I started with BackBlaze (a great service) but couldn't get their software to run on my Solaris box so I went to CrashPlan.

I've found this resource: http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11728 but it clearly states that you need to compile your own FreeNAS.

At the very least, it looks like FreeNAS needs to be compiled with comparability flags to allow the Linux/Java package to be added. I for one would really like to see this as part of a future release.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.