regular pause writing to RAID-Z1 volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

voljka

Cadet
Please look at attached picture.
Problem is with regular pause between data write to NAS from PC.
There is no visible problems with network (1Gb speed), PC (Core i3, 4GB RAM) or NAS hardware.
I think this is something basic & related with ZFS. Please advice how to eliminate these gaps.
Hardware is: HP Microserver (AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo N36L Dual-Core Processor, 4GB RAM); 4 x 2TB HDD Seagate ST2000DL003)
Software is: FreeNAS-8r7419-amd64; 1 RAID-Z1 volume with 4 HDD.

Attachments

• Write to FreeNAS.jpg
    Write to FreeNAS.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 281

voljka

Cadet
So, if I have peak load at 150 Mbit/s, and typical load at 100 Mbit/s (file transfer operation) FreeNas is unable to deal with it?
I more than sure, what Windows 2008R2 software RAID5 can handle this perfectly. I understood, what performance tied to single disk speed, and load is not so high.
I copying from DNS-323 NAS, which is not powerful enough to kill dualcore box. Am I right?

It's a neo which is not much of a dual core and you have 4 GB of ram which is pretty much the bare minimum you should run ZFS with.

if you search the forums for 'HP Microserver' you'll see a lot of users having the same issues as you.

here is a post that seems to have some success speeding up AFP significantly, and may work for you with your Cifs issue
http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...Z-and-8.0.1-Beta-4&p=5298&viewfull=1#post5298

mainly 'vfs.zfs.txg.timeout="5"'

please let us know if it helps you too, it may be a good idea to do something similar as a default setting.

voljka

Cadet
This is result of your advice: see attached picture
I think situation became better.

Attachments

• Write to FreeNAS 2.jpg
    Write to FreeNAS 2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 293

voljka

Cadet
You are correct. Gaps just became more hidden. And after 'vfs.zfs.txg.timeout="5"' modification my FreeNAS box freeze completely duering file copy from old NAS to FreeNAS .
I rebooted it with power button (no ssh, no web, no SMB sharing was working). And after that I start copying form notebook to NAS. Network performance was so terrible in task manager on PC, what I do not know what to think. It seems for me what FreeNAS not so good choice after all. :(
P.S. I did some testing when I install FreeNAS, and all was fine, but I do not copy more then few GB of data. With "real life" transfers - 2-3 TB I have a problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.