refreshing of files in folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan_Alt

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I have a question.
I copy some files in my freenas with one computer.
When I try to see these files on my freenas with another computer, I can't see them.
To refresh the folder and the files that are in the folder, I have to create a new folder, enter in this new folder and return in the folder with the new files.
I think it's a refresh problem but I don't know how to resolve it.

Could you help me ?
Thanks

Jordan

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
Bonjour and welcome! :)

Are you connecting to your FreeNAS via SMB? Have you checked that the file and folder permissions are correct? Assuming you're running Windows on the client machine, right-click the folder that contains everything, click 'Properties', click the 'Security' tab, and look at the list of groups and users that have access to that folder. If that list is missing a user (specifically, your username), then you can click the 'Edit...' button to add it.

fracai

Guru
I see the same behavior. I have my storage mounted via SMB on a Mac. If I open a network folder, wait for the contents to load, then make changes to those somewhere else (i.e. directly on the FreeNAS machine via command line), the changes aren't displayed on the Mac until I refresh the folder. I usually do this by navigating to a different folder at a higher hierarchy and then coming back to the outdated folder.

I don't know if there's a mechanism that's supposed to alert clients to changes, but I always assumed it's just that the client doesn't waste bandwidth constantly checking for folder contents.

kdragon75

Wizard
And pressing F5 does not help?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I see the same behavior. I have my storage mounted via SMB on a Mac. If I open a network folder, wait for the contents to load, then make changes to those somewhere else (i.e. directly on the FreeNAS machine via command line), the changes aren't displayed on the Mac until I refresh the folder. I usually do this by navigating to a different folder at a higher hierarchy and then coming back to the outdated folder.

I don't know if there's a mechanism that's supposed to alert clients to changes, but I always assumed it's just that the client doesn't waste bandwidth constantly checking for folder contents.

This is typically handled via smb2_notify requests and responses, but we don't have inotify / kernel change notify, and so this only works within the SMB protocol. For my personal use I wrote up an applescript to refresh the finder window and added it to my taskbar in finder.

You can also edit the nsmb.conf.

fracai

Guru
This is typically handled via smb2_notify requests and responses, but we don't have inotify / kernel change notify, and so this only works within the SMB protocol. For my personal use I wrote up an applescript to refresh the finder window and added it to my taskbar in finder.

You can also edit the nsmb.conf.
Would you be willing to share that AppleScript? I think that'd be quite useful.
Also, what edits to nsmb.conf are you suggesting?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
nsmb.conf params =
Code:
	 dir_cache_max	   + + -	  60s		Max time to cache for a dir
	 dir_cache_min	   + + -	  30s		Min time to cache for a dir

applescript =
Code:
tell application "Finder" to tell front window to update every item

Status
Not open for further replies.