[Help] My Files keep going back whenever I delete those files

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnxdo

Cadet
Greeting :)

I am totally green in the freenas software, all I knew is just how to install that and it was succeed.

Now, I am having problem with storage issue. My hardisk is full (100%). Whenever I delete some files/folder, that files/folder can't be deleted. I mean, literally it can be deleted, but after 10 seconds or every time I refresh my computer, those files come back again :(

I have read this article https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/help-deleting-files-doesnt-free-up-disk-space.41591/
but still, i don't know where to find the "hidden folder named .recyle under the same shared directory" like stated in that article.

Here is my freenas spec :

System Information
Hostname freenas.local
Build FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x86 (r12701M)
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz
Memory 3551MB
System Time Wed Jan 06 08:07:09 PST 2016
Uptime 8:07AM up 9 days, 1:38, 0 users
Load Average 0.03, 0.06, 0.02
Connected through 10.3.11.24

I am seeking for any help and maybe a little tutorial for me.
Thanks a lot for your attention....

ps: Sorry for my bad english, i didn't speak english as well.

melloa

Wizard
Food for thoughts:
- Assume you are talking about CIFS (Windows Shares)
- If yes, google "how to show hidden folders in windows"and pick the solution for your windows version. Unless you don't turn that option ON you won't see any hidden folder/file.
- After that you can also try to delete some snapshots as described in the above mentioned article.
- Be aware that after deleting your hidden files that are gone and, after deleting your snapshots, there won't be a way to get them back!
- You are on a very old version of FN ...
- Not sure if your version has the alert, but mine started flashing when I got to 85% of my pool ... it is not recommended go beyond that mark, read articles in this forums by several people about ZFS.
- You probably need to upgrade your box as you've maxed your pool (as you don't know how to un-hide a folder I'm hesitant in tell you to add HDs to the existing one and lose all your data), so get a new box, install the new stable version of freenas (9.10 as of today) and use one of the available tools to copy the data from one PC to the other (I use rsync as it's built-in and I know how to use it).

adnxdo

Cadet
Food for thoughts:
- Assume you are talking about CIFS (Windows Shares)
- If yes, google "how to show hidden folders in windows"and pick the solution for your windows version. Unless you don't turn that option ON you won't see any hidden folder/file.
- After that you can also try to delete some snapshots as described in the above mentioned article.
- Be aware that after deleting your hidden files that are gone and, after deleting your snapshots, there won't be a way to get them back!
- You are on a very old version of FN ...
- Not sure if your version has the alert, but mine started flashing when I got to 85% of my pool ... it is not recommended go beyond that mark, read articles in this forums by several people about ZFS.
- You probably need to upgrade your box as you've maxed your pool (as you don't know how to un-hide a folder I'm hesitant in tell you to add HDs to the existing one and lose all your data), so get a new box, install the new stable version of freenas (9.10 as of today) and use one of the available tools to copy the data from one PC to the other (I use rsync as it's built-in and I know how to use it).

Thanks for your quick reply :)

hmm, I'm already set my windows view to show hidden files, but file .recyle didn't appear.
My snapshot is empty, too....

OK, I assume that back up-ing my files and set up new freenas might be best solution for my problem, isn't it?

melloa

Wizard
Thanks for your quick reply :)

hmm, I'm already set my windows view to show hidden files, but file .recyle didn't appear.
My snapshot is empty, too....

OK, I assume that back up-ing my files and set up new freenas might be best solution for my problem, isn't it?

If you have deleted all files from the CIF, including the hidden ones and deleted your snapshots to freeup space, I'd say you have no more space left in your pool, that's already passed the max recommended utilization.

I'd back it up immediately, even to an external drive while you are getting another solution ready. You have no time to waste.

Regarding the ".recycle" you system might not be setup to export it or, not sure, not existent in that old version. I'm only using FN for above 1 1/2 years and started with 9.x.

gpsguy

Status
Not open for further replies.