Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent54

Dabbler
First off, I can say my FreeNAS system is working and thanks for the support I've received in setting it up.

I recently full backed up my primary PC to a backup share on my NAS using Novabackup software. Of course, two days later one of my RAID0 drives failed on my primary PC. No biggie one would assume as I created a rescue disk to recover the backup but no. It seem the damn Novabackup rescue doesn't or won't connect through the network. So, no connection to NAS to recover backup. What I'm trying to do is copy the saved backup from the NAS box to a portable drive. I'm currently trying to do it through a laptop networked to the backup share, which is going to take forever. Is there a way to copy the data from the backup share to a connected portable drive on the NAS system itself? If there is, I'm not seeing it. Thanks

Stephens

Patron
Yes there's a way, but it's not a GUI-easy way. You have to go to the shell, mount (mnt) the portable device, then copy. I'm no FreeBSD wizard so I'm not going to give you the commands. I'd have to go read from google, which you can do yourself (unless someone else tells you the commands).

But really, I don't know how big your backup file is, but with a gigabit connection, I'm not really seeing why it should take forever. Heck, my gigabit connection is faster than my USB2.0 connection, so basically I can write to an external USB drive attached to my client computer as fast as it can take data. What speed are you getting?

Silent54

Dabbler
Edit:

I figured out how to mount the external. My question is, where are the shares located from the command line so I can copy the contents of one of the shares to the external drive? I used the ls command but didn't see anything listed that was familiar to me.

As for the speed, you would assume that but for some reason it isn't as fast as it should be. Right now I have about 12 hrs before it finishes copying the files to the portable drive attached to my laptop, which is wired. The backup is only about 378GB.

Edit2:

Ok, figured out the command line syntax to copy from share to external. Just in case someone else needs to know this I'm going to post what I did.

First, you need to look at the log or view your NAS screen to see what FreeNAS called you drive when you plug it in.

# dmesg
umass1: <ASMedia AS2105, class 0/0, rev 2.10/1.00, addr 3> on uhub4
da1 at umass-sim1 bus 1 target 0 lun 0
da1: <ST950042 0AS 0002> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers
da1: 476940MB (976773168 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 60801C)

Next, I created a directory to mount the drive to and since the drive is a USB I just called it USB. Then mounted the drive:

# mkdir /dev/usb
# ntfs-3g /dev/da1s1 /mnt/usb

Change da1s1 to your device/partition

Next, copy what you need. For me, I copied the contents of a share called windowsback to my external usb drive. I found my volume and shares in the /mnt directory:

# cp -r /mnt/Storage/windowsback /mnt/usb (Storage is my volume and windowsback is one of my shares)

Status
Not open for further replies.