Recovering HDD data from dead NAS--Freenas v11

Lawrence

Cadet
Hi all.

As the title of the finale of Star Trek TNG says, "All Good Things..." So it is with my NAS which has been in operation since 2015, last up time was 288 days.

My apartment building was upgrading network, so I had to shut down the NAS. When I restarted, it reported something like No Interface, and there were no IP addresses for accessing FreeNAS. Today, the computer will not even start up.

Regardless of what happened, I want to recover the Plex data from the disks. I have six (6) 2TB drives but I don't remember the Raid configuration. I'm not planning on "fixing" the NAS for the foreseeable future.

But I want to recover the data. How can I?

Lawrence

ps If this is in the wrong area, please move.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Attach those pool disks to any TrueNAS install and import the pool, then get your data.

If you can't get to having a TrueNAS server, Linux has ZFS available (Ubuntu even makes it easy to do), for Mac or Windows, there's the ZFS on Mac and Windows projects, but that would be read-only if you care about that data due to the experimental stage of those projects for now.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Whatever is wrong with your NAS is probably a minor issue. Just get it working. If it won't power on, it is probably a bad power supply. Do you have another power supply to test with?

Lawrence

Cadet
Attach those pool disks to any TrueNAS install and import the pool, then get your data.

If you can't get to having a TrueNAS server, Linux has ZFS available (Ubuntu even makes it easy to do), for Mac or Windows, there's the ZFS on Mac and Windows projects, but that would be read-only if you care about that data due to the experimental stage of those projects for now.
Thank you for your response.