Recovering from various failure scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusky

Dabbler
Please point me to articles if they exist but I wanted to know how to recovery from various failure scenarios

1. The OS boots from a USB, what happens if the USB fails?
2. My jail is on a separate SSD drive, what happens if the SSD fails?
3. What happens if the motherboard fails?
4. <insert any other failure scenario>

m0nkey_

MVP
The OS boots from a USB, what happens if the USB fails?
You can either backup your config or mirror your boot device.
My jail is on a separate SSD drive, what happens if the SSD fails?
Without backups, you lose your data. You can store snapshots of your jails on your main pool.
What happens if the motherboard fails?
Just move all drives, inc. boot. When you boot up, you will need to reconfigure the NIC.

Rusky

Dabbler
Without backups, you lose your data. You can store snapshots of your jails on your main pool.

I setup periodic snapshot tasks for the primary storage and the jail but I don't see where the snapshots are being stored. How would I point them to the mail pool?

m0nkey_

MVP
I setup periodic snapshot tasks for the primary storage and the jail but I don't see where the snapshots are being stored. How would I point them to the mail pool?
You would need to write yourself a script to do this, since it's not an automated task.

Rusky

Dabbler
I have the extra SSDs so it sounds like it'll be best to mirror my jail.

Thanks for your expert simian knowledge :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
How would I point them to the mail pool?
Snapshots are always stored on the pool on which they're taken; that's just the way ZFS snapshots work. But you can replicate them to another pool. FreeNAS has built-in replication capabilities, though they are a little cumbersome when replicating to another pool on the same machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.