reconnecting uncased USB drive as SATA -- will FreeNAS recognize is as the same disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

efstone

Cadet
I'm using two external USB WD MyBook drives on my mirrored setup and I want to bust them out of their cases and reconnect them internally as SATA drives but I have a feeling they won't be recognized as the same disks (even though they'll have the same gptid of course).

Can anyone confirm this?

And if I do have to use the replace disk command, will that wipe the disks? I do have a backup and could just start fresh, but... arg. What a pain.

Dusan

Guru
I'm using two external USB WD MyBook drives on my mirrored setup and I want to bust them out of their cases and reconnect them internally as SATA drives but I have a feeling they won't be recognized as the same disks (even though they'll have the same gptid of course)
The system/ZFS should detect the drives without problems. But I suggest you first liberate one of the disks, connect it via SATA and boot to verify that the pool is OK and only then move to the other drive.
And if I do have to use the replace disk command, will that wipe the disks? I do have a backup and could just start fresh, but... arg. What a pain.
Do not use commands, if you need to replace do it from the GUI. The replacement will "wipe" the disk being replaced, however it will be resilvered from the other mirrored drive.

efstone

Cadet
The system/ZFS should detect the drives without problems. But I suggest you first liberate one of the disks, connect it via SATA and boot to verify that the pool is OK and only then move to the other drive.

Do not use commands, if you need to replace do it from the GUI. The replacement will "wipe" the disk being replaced, however it will be resilvered from the other mirrored drive.

Thanks. Good advice. I really messed stuff up after my post, but I'm back on track now. For what it's worth, here's what NOT to ever do: run the replace command from the cli on the *good* drive and then run detach on the bad drive (yeah, I did BOTH of those majorly stupid things in a row). I ended up stuck in the replacing-0 mode, which sort of treated the volume like a stripe (without doubling the space) and it was just a nightmare. Everything appeared to resilver to the new disk, but neither would function alone. Had to destroy the pool and restore from backup.

A week later I found out I had bad RAM--heheh. It's been fun. Didn't give up, though. The system is running beautifully now. Got lots of help from this forum, too. Much thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.